1980 Montesa 123 No Spark - Sorted!

johnh

Ok then I am rebuilding my 1980 Montesa 123 and i have replaced the points, condensor and all the wires from the stator. I replaced each wire as I took one off so I am pretty sure that it is wired correctly. I set the points and kicked the engine over - no spark. So i set about setting the timing using a dial gauge and ohmeter. Connecting one probe from the ohmeter to the single LT wire going to the coil and the other to an earth I get a constant beep. I tried all of the other 3 wires and got the same constant beep, I also tried different earth locations with the same result and still no spark.

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

Cheers

Edited by JohnH

Gday, did you give the points a clean before fitting? Often they have a film of protective oil/stuff on them when new, and you do need to give them a clean with some solvent first (Just on the contact area) Also, make sure you have a small dab of grease on the rubbing block too- not too much though!

Cheers,

Stork

I think you need to disconect the source coil when setting the timing with a multi meter as the coils have a low resistance. Also there are 2 source coils you can use for the spark as I had no spark on my 200 and after specking to Bradford Ignitions he sugested I try the other coil and instant spark. Unfortunately I cant remember which coil was which,I think they both have similar size windings.

You could give bradford Ignitions a ring or have a look at www.uk-motoplat.com.

Ian

Thanks for the advice fella's, I now have a spark. Ihad to take the engine out of the frame and clean up the mounting points so that there would be a decent earth. Found this out from Southwest Montesa.

Cheers