Beta Rev 3 Problems

jalouhar

Hei My name is Tony im returning to trials after a 25 year gap I just bought myself a beta rev 3 2001 model and im finding it a bit difficult to start

can anybody suggest anything obvious that I should be checking, I have fitted a new spark plug

anyadvice would be most welcome

regards

Tony

Hi,

I have a 2002 beta Rev 3 250. I bought a dog and have had many problems with a basically worn out bike.

What is you're starting problem?

When does it happen, cold, hot, or both?

Does the bike run fine after starting?

Without any of the above questions answered I would remove and strip the carb and give it a good clean out. Empty fuel from the tank and check for water. If you are unsure about the fuel age dispose of it. Clean the air filter.

Cheers!

Hi,

after kicking it over take the plug out and see if its wet this means you are getting fuel into it.

has it a good spark? is it the correct plug?

bp5es

take the plug cap off and sparkplug out of the head hold the ht lead 1/2 " away

from cylinder the spark should travel that far.

Ive just had my killswitch fail so disconnect one of the wires and see if it starts.

could be over fueling does it smell of petrol after kicking over

could be an air leak between carb and crankcase? old reads? are they closing properly?

dirty air filter?

hope this helps? let us know! Rij

Taken for granted its sparking, mine always needs the choke on for its first start of the day. How old is the fuel as it does go 'off'. Also I would check to see if the kill switch isnt earthing out and causing weak or no spark(you could just temporarily remove from the bar). Have you tried some fuel down the plug hole to see if it fires? Could also be gum in the carb.

Hope this helps, there is a wealth of knowledge on here much greater than mine.

Good Luck

Thanks so much for the quick replies, I rode it at the quarrey at whitworth a fortnight ago it started up when i arrived then after stopping to rest and take a cofee it wouldnt restart some helpfull man disconnected the kill switch and hey presto it started its now been in the garage for a week and it wouldnt start today I will try the things suggested here

many thanks. also when i do get it running Id like to find somewhere a nit more local to ride if anybody knows anywhere Im just near junc 26 off the m6

regards

Tony