1999 Montesa Cota 315r Clutch Problem

jordancameron

hello my montesa cota 315R has been recently giving me trouble with the clutch. whenever i put it into gear it starts to move like when you let the clutch of but im stull holding the clutch in and i have to give it some throttle or it will cut out and when im stoping the bike to put it out of gear whenever i pull the clutch in it doesnt do anything and it stolls. i recently got it serviced and all the oils changed. i had troubles with it before i had it serviced but it worked fine for about a week after i got it back and then the clutch started doing that thing again. the bike is a 1999 montesa cota 315R and if any one can tell me what they think is rong that would be a big help.

thanks.

jordan

I used to have a 99 montesa which did the same. I was told to change the plates for later ones which had more oil grooves. Worked perfectly after that. I can't remember what year i changed them for though. Phone Sandifords, they'll know.

I had similar problems, and did a lot of research before I found a fix that worked for me. For starters I tried a bunch of oils; some worked better for a day or so, but all of them worked about the same after a couple of hours of riding. I ended up sticking with the cheapest and most available - Dextron 3 ATF.

I sanded the metal plates and that helped tremendously, but only for a few more hours.

I then looked at all the trick aftermarket options, CR250 clutches, buying a new stock one, and decided the most economical fix to try was buying a set of Surflex friction plates. Given that I had no proof any of the fixes were going to work better than any of the others - it made sense for me to start at the bottom of the price heap. I put them in and it's been fine since. Not perfect, mind you - it hangs up the very first time when you pop it in gear cold, neutral can still be hard to find, but no more creep when in gear.

Sam

• 2 weeks later...