72 Mar Fuel Tank Issue

sdm

I am possibly looking at purchasing a 72 MAR from a fellow. The only issue is one of the cross over tubes is loose and leaks fuel. Does anyone know if that is a major issue and a common problem on these? I am not sure if the tube is just loose in the tank or the tank itself has been damaged but if it is just loose it seems like it would be a fairly easy fix.

Anyone out there have any experience with this and what steps to take to fix it?

Also what other things other than the obvious cables chain sprockets etc are good to check on these bikes. I have limited experience with Ossas but have always liked them.

Thanks for any info

Sam

Ossa MAR fibreglass tanks can be successfully repaired - inclucing your cross over pipe connectors with a fibre glass resin filler, you can reinforce the pipes with a piece of glass cloth approx 25mm square fitted like a collar, laid up when the fibreglass resin is still soft, this works well, is strong and resists LL petrol. Fibreglass resin repair kits can be bought easily. The same resin / filler can be used to repair other spider cracks that may appear in the tank.

The Ossa Mar Mk I and Mk II both are robust bikes, handle well and ideal for Twinshock Trials, also parts are readily available for the Engine, sprockets, brakes, etc from suppliers in the UK and USA.

The Motoplat electronic ignition HT coil can be replaced by a PVL unit which works well, and replace the IRZ carburettor with a Del Orto carburettor and ensure you seal the flywheel cover to crankcase with a sealant- but provide a breather - this will keep the water out of the ignition.

Hope this helps Brian H

Yes it does help Brian and thanks for the reply. I am going to take a closer look at it this next week hopefully and will let you know what I decide.

Sam