Just Upgraded From 12.5 To 16 36v

Our 4 year old has been riding his 12.5 since he was 3. This spring, for the first time, we noticed that he was looking a little big on the 12.5, at least when he stands up. Finally, a few weeks ago, my wife mentioned that she had turned the speed to full, and he was still looking like he wanted more.

Owen was at the door when the UPS man knocked, and when he saw that big box, he was excited just to figure out what was inside. I gave him the packing slip and asked him to see if he could recognize any words... "Daddy, that says OSET, they make my motorcycle!"

As soon as I pulled the front wheel out of the box, I realized how high quality the components are - I am really impressed. The assembly was just as easy as the 12.5, and only a few of the controls had to be adjusted to suit him. The brakes felt so great. (I did have to take it on a safety inspection ride, of course)

With the speed dialed down, he got on, and could just put the ball of one foot down, and toes on the other, but it is fine - He gave it a twist and off he went. He immediately looked confident and was running laps all over the yard. With the bigger wheels and longer wheelbase, the stability is vastly improved. (OTOH, it does take a bigger area to make a turn.) In 10 minutes he was asking for more speed, and in 20 minutes he was standing, then standing with one leg! Going over a 12"x12" paver used to upset the bike, now he doesn't even notice it.

If you are considering the upgrade, it is well worth it. As long as your child is tall enough to get a foot down, they will probably feel more comfortable on the 16, and the components are so much better.

Pete

It's good to hear that he's getting on with the new bigger bike ok. My eldest daughter who's five, has a 12" and recently tried out her mates 16", although she could ride it ok (she's had her bike for two years now) she commented that it was harder to ride so I'm going to hold off upgrading her for another six months or so.

She does look a bit big on the smaller machine but I don't want to push her and put her off riding.

I agree that they are fabulous machines and it has been money well spent. The Middle sister is two and a half and she can ride it on stabilisers (and slow speed) already, the upgrade will come when they start fighting over the 12" :thumbup:

IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

Edited by Pete_Scorpa3

More fun in the yard yesterday and today - Big jumps and mud riding (the newly seeded areas are never going to have grass).

Owen really wanted a number plate on the front, but the cables prohibit the included plate from fitting. I dremmeled a cut and shaved the top and it fits well:

052310personalisedmoto001.jpg

Then I took the advice of someone in another post and padded the steering stem with an old protaper bar pad. It looks a bit cobbled, but I think it does the trick:

052310personalisedmoto002.jpg

Edited by flypigs