Bike Transport With 1985 Toyota Mr2

zippy

OK Here is my conundrum: due to vehicle movements, leases etc..... I will not have a pickup in the near future. I know of someone who pulls a 3 place motorcycle trailer quite successfully with a Mazda Miata.

I have a 1985 Toyota MR2 (Fun Car) I am looking for suggestions on the possibility of transporting my trials bike with it.

For those not familiar with this car it is a MID-Engine 4 cylinder street legal go-kart.

I am hesitant to use a trailer due to the front end already being light with no engine up there. More weight in rear = lighter front = less ability to steer.

Was thinking more along the lines of a rack of some sort. Not too many places in the rear to attach though, with all the exhaust doing a snaky thing under there.

Had a rough idea of making a rack that would place the rear tire on the back of car and the front tire on the roof. but running into problems figuring out how I would get my large butt up there to tie the bike down.

Any ideas? Pics would really help

go ahead with the "You're a loony" responses also.

But the trailer would not be as funny looking. :rolleyes:

I will need to investigate if there is anywhere to attach a trailer hitch to the car. Whole lotta exhaust system back there. Damn muffler is in horizontal and is almost as long as the car is wide.

Being a long time toyota tech (30+yrs) All I can add is Good luck finding a hitch for a early MR2 , you'll most likely have to fab that yourself . I've seen them with hitches on them though ... As long as you keep the trailer light and tongue weight correct you will have no issues pulling a single bike trailer , just remember all your gear etc. should go on the trailer too , you don't want to overtax the 25 year old springs etc ... Power will not be a issue ,as the mr's had enough for fun , and the stock weight distribution was close to 50/50 . A trustworthy hitch would be my major concern.

And hey I travel without any issues with my 09 SX4 crossover and triton trailer and still average about 28 mpg loaded for Fun !!!

Good luck :rolleyes:

Glenn

post-1232-1275044055.jpg

I am hesitant to use a trailer due to the front end already being light with no engine up there. More weight in rear = lighter front = less ability to steer.

Put the tow bar on the front and push it - that should ballance the weight up a bit :rolleyes:

Put the tow bar on the front and push it - that should ballance the weight up a bit :rolleyes:

I had considered putting the bike on the front.........but I would not be able to see over it :o

You might check with the Grassroots Motorsports forums,no doubt some autocrossers havehitches on their Mister-twos to haul track tires on small trailers to the Gymkhanas to swap out when they get there.

You might check with the Grassroots Motorsports forums,no doubt some autocrossers havehitches on their Mister-twos to haul track tires on small trailers to the Gymkhanas to swap out when they get there.

GOOD Point !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

I'd like to have heard the sales pitch when he sold the Cortina and tried to explain away the four holes drilled in the roof of the boot! Can't see how the best place to anchor the weight would be to use the boot lid (thin and movable) rather than the body of the car (solid), even if the rack was attached through the lid to the underside of the boot hinge. Still, it is a cool looking set-up. As I recall Lotus used to offer a ski rack for the Esprit that was equally spectacular and Saab offer a ski rack for their convertible that angles the skis up over the roof.

Note. the complete lack of tie downs. On the other hand, with this rack you could almost get away with one tie down around the front wheel.

Edited by Ross Brown

Note. the complete lack of tie downs. On the other hand, with this rack you could almost get away with one tie down around the front wheel.

Look Again ... The bikes are tied down , Look between them at the upper rear shock mount . Still kinda scares me though ...