Changing The Van But Need Advice On Which To Change To.

Well finally taken the plunge and ordered me new van. Pick it up a week on Tuesday. Merceedes sprinter med w/b std roof.

Fingers crossed that this one will be reliable.

Well the Merceedes reputation is good isnt it ?

So this is a new one? Are they running the 3.0 V6 as the ones here?

Very nice, yet very expensive to repair and maintain it seems to me.

So this is a new one? Are they running the 3.0 V6 as the ones here?

Very nice, yet very expensive to repair and maintain it seems to me.

Picked it up today, sorry not the V6 <_< , just a 95bhp bog std one. Going to get it chipped though at some point.

Only done a few miles so far but the van seems so much better put together and soooooo much more solid than the Primastar did. the gearchange is a revelation too as this feels connected by girders to the gearbox not like the Primastar which felt more like a computer joystick that sometimes found the gear you wanted but just never really felt "right" more liek stirring porrage.

Does feel very high driving position. Less carlike and more like a bus LOL.

Like it though. Feels like it's built to last unlike the Nissan/Vauxhall/Renault which is definately a disposable commodity.

Will let you all know if it goes bang, fingers crossed it wont, but i am happy with my purchase so far.

Thanks again to everybody who gave their advice / experiences. :crying:

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update.

Done 600 miles and had my first problem :)

Power steering pump ran out of oil because some numpty didnt tighten the pipe properly to the pump. Had to drive home without any power steering which wasnt too bad till you had to make a 90 deg right or left turn then you needed BIG and i mean BIG muscles.

Anyway called Mercedes and they sent a technician round who arrived within the hour tightened the offending gland nut, "you know i've never ever come across this before sir", refilled the pump reservoir and bid me farewell.

Dont know if i'm happy about the reesponse to my problem, which was excellent, or really annoyed about the loose gland nut which in my opinion should NEVER happen with any marque and especially NOT on a Mercedes.

Oh well onwards and upwards :rolleyes:

Just keep all receipts of the transaction so when the pump fails in the future you can prove it was their fault ! out of warrenty or not ! I've been looking at a sprinter too , And except for the fact that the US models are assembled in the next town over from me ,(and I know what the local work force is like ...) I think they are a all around good deal for the long haul ... and most hotrod techniques applied to diesels will improve the fuel economy and power , not detract from it . over here they are in a very mild state of tune ...

Glenn , good luck with the new ride !