Gearbox Oil

ginger_ninja54

Bought a few bits for the bike yesterday.

Picked up fuchs-silkolene medium gear oil (medium - on advice from shop-owner), but am now unsure as to what i really should be using, and can only find advice on quantities, not grades (on john lampkin site)

Ideally i'll stick with silkolene as my local place is a stockist, but should i be using LIGHT, MEDIUM or COMP GEAR?

cheers!

Edited by Ginger_Ninja54

maybe next-time!

have a can of silkolene medium gear oil now, but dont know whether to use it or not?!?!

whats in it now i dont know... its red!

what will running medium gear oil over light gear oil do to the clutch etc, as i assume the actual lubrication qualities wont be much different?

thanks for the advice on the different products guys....

but! all i need to know for now is,what difference will running medium gear oil have, over light gear oil?

after this change i'm prob gonna change 2-stroke oil and gearbox oils to a different brand.

BVM have been a great help on plastics for mine, and new C&S etc, so will in future be putting my business their way, so can move away from silkolene.

Ginger..if the current stuff is red..its probably ATF fluid,,which is cheaper..but personally I prefer gear oil..(sorry Heath)..which is pretty cheap here anyway..(cheaper than UK..by a mile)..we use Repsol brand here..and it works great in my Beta. BVM have always been VERY good/helpfull with me too, so I'm pleased you found the same.

Will stick it in and try it then!

BVM have been really good.

The supertrial (it seems) isnt very well recognised/remembered, i didnt realise it was a rare breed (???!!).

I have been told by at least 2 companies that all beta's after 1991 were water-cooled, etc etc.

They dont seem too keen to look after ALL customers, perhaps i'm not gonna spend as much as a REV3 rider!

I dont think i'm the only member on here that isnt mounted on a bang-up-to-date bike, it makes a change for a company to want to help 'us' out, and whilst 'plugs' or ads for companies may be frowned upon, i think it should be recognised!