Rev's Wont Come Down

shercojay

Right Guys,

My mate has just got a 02 290 and am having a bit touble, the bike wont come of the revs. If you rev it up it hangs about in the rev's and wont really come down,

Am changing the thottle,thottle cable cleaning the carb,new air filter. does anybody have any other ideas ??

As always thank you please

Well, it is certainly possible, yet a thoruough inspection of the basics should be done!

Off with the airbox, inspect the lower inside portion closely for evidence of dirt water and mud laying in the bottom. Common cause is water and grit entering the carb after a wash(improperly done) of the bike. Washes the dirt right through the filter.

On to the carby, spotless is the word. Inside and out, checking for evidence of grit on the slide. After cleaning and installing on the bike, lube slide, always do a quick ck for the sound of the slide hitting the stop screw as it shuts and note position looking through the bore. Add, there should be enough play in the cable adjuster(2-3mm) so that tension is not brought into the cable while turning the bars, and even cold weather can effect this!

You can start and run the bike with airbox off, visually checking for full return of the slide, and/ or even throw something over the inlet to shut motor down if needed.

A bit of carby cleaner around under the flywheel cover chould tell if the left crank seal leaks(sucks air) and blocking the case vent tube will seal off the right, creating a vacume on the tube! ^_^

i think i will pull my carb off and try it also, Had a look at the mixing screw and it seems fine

I think its the crank seals, sprayed some wd40 around the fly wheel and seem to sort it,

if it is do i change the main bearing shells to ??

i think i will pull my carb off and try it also, Had a look at the mixing screw and it seems fine

I think its the crank seals, sprayed some wd40 around the fly wheel and seem to sort it,

if it is do i change the main bearing shells to ??

If the bearings are not loose, noisey or otherwise, you can pop in new seals without splitting cases.!!!!! ^_^

yeah thats the plan but could that be the unlying cause ??????????

All I can tell is you can do a quick check on the bearings by removing the flywheel cover, rotate flywheel ( spark plug out) checking for smoothness of rotation, then by lifting up and down on the flyweight checking for excess play, then the same for in and out.

As there is no absolute written limits (specs) on wear limits here. You must be your own judge, yet new bearings start off at .003-.004in. clearance. I would put a guess at 2.5 times that to be a reasonable limit.

All made short, as long as the bearings are reasonably tight and quiet(not rough) although they may have some normal wear, just run them.

The (my/our) common theory is indeed that the alcohol induced fuels are causing the stock black nitrile seals to go to hell. Splatshop sells some Viton replacements which should hold well enough over time, and even if you decide to replace main bearings later, the new seals would not need to be toutched unless damaged in the process. :rolleyes:

Edited by copemech

new seals and its sorted, wasnt a bad job to do

cheers for the advice guys

Oh good! Another to chalk up to seal detioration then, seems yours may have been worse than many in earlier stages.

So this is a definate based upon your findings?

:rolleyes: MC

I think he has just being unlucky with the bike, as I thought right away dirty carb. However I washed the carb on a parts bath to really make sure it was clean and spotless. As the bike was still not running right. Air leak came to mind, but hey its sorted just hope the mains dont go

cheers copemech