Thinking Of Buying A Sherco

awilliams64

I have been to a few events and have a few friends that ride trials. I am now in the market for a bike. I dont have a large budget for this so i have been looking at some older bikes. a couple are the sherco 2.9 2004 and then a 2007 beta 270.

Problem with the beta, the last time the guy had it out the water pump seal started leaking and ended up with antifreeze in the oil. He stopped riding it but he said the oil looked milky. This one seems to be a good price $2600 after he gets it fixed but it kind of scares me a little.

The other bike i am looking at it is the 04 sherco "this bike held the Number 1 plate in Florida. It was ridden by a member of the Sherco World Trials Team. It was professionally maintained." is local and looks really clean but wants $2900 for it.

Since i know very little about trials bikes, i thought i would come here for some help. Is there anything to look for on the shercos around the 2004 year that i should check out?

Be careful about buying a bike too advanced for. You mentioned that world trials bike. There are good used bikes out there, 4-5 years old in the $3k or less range, and well maintained. I would suggest searching the local clubs, see what's available. Try some out. Good luck.

i found another 2004 2.9 sherco that looks to be in excellent condition. HE is a somewhat local trials rider that this is his backup bike. can get it for $2500. it is basically stock but looks new. is there anything i should be wary of on this year of sherco?

i found another 2004 2.9 sherco that looks to be in excellent condition. HE is a somewhat local trials rider that this is his backup bike. can get it for $2500. it is basically stock but looks new. is there anything i should be wary of on this year of sherco?

There is really nothing wrong with any of these years if they are taken care of. Anything you get at that price may have its faults due to age and use and maintenance or lack of it! Usually nothing great, though.

What possibly concerns me more here is the fact you are looking at 2.7 and 2.9 big bore bikes! For a beginner this is not always good! They are more difficult to control, and unless you also happen to be a hotshot enduro or MX rider, not a good start! A decent 200-250 is a better starter bike, and even most 125's will get you around quite nicely!

I usually point folks towards a 250 Scorpa SY, Montesa 2T or Beta as they are more docile and available it seems. :o

Hell, buy the big bore bike, learn to use the clutch and remember a little throttle goes a long way and you should be ok. I say this assuming you have ridden some type of motorcycle in the past. As your skills progress you won't need to buy another bike later on.

As far as which brand of bike, as the others have said if they are well taken care of there should not be any major issues with any of them.

Searching this forum for 2004 Sherco's may help point out if there is a common problem to that year.

Hell, buy the big bore bike, learn to use the clutch and remember a little throttle goes a long way and you should be ok. I say this assuming you have ridden some type of motorcycle in the past. As your skills progress you won't need to buy another bike later on.

:o

i spent alot of time last night reading about many different bikes. I currently ride an xr650r so i know a little about power because that thing is power monster. I was just looking at the larger bikes because i am 6 3 265 so i am definitely not on the small side. from what i have read, the shercos do require a little more maintenance on the bearings becuase of the lack of seals on them. I will keep reading and keep taking advise!!

Ask Ryan about getting the later flywheel cover that doesn't have the sprocket cover, the type fitted has a habit of warping & leaving a gap in front of the sprocket that allows water to get flicked from the chain straight into the magneto. I've run the later type since they came out & reckon you probably won't come across a better mod

As far as the power thing goes, the 290 has a bit more everywhere over the 250 without any steps in the delivery so as long as you can learn to use the clutch as a secondary form of throttle you should be okay

I was at ryp today and asked ryan about that. He said to just watch the plastic cover and dont tighten it too much, that is what causes them to warp. I did go and pick up the 04 sherco today and we had to take it to ryan and have him do a couple of things. HE had it running perfect in no time at all. I was amazed at all of the parts he has in stock there and he was as nice as anyone could ever meet.

so now i am the proud owner of a sherco!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=4226...mp;l=ae3c6dd345

Ask Ryan about getting the later flywheel cover that doesn't have the sprocket cover, the type fitted has a habit of warping & leaving a gap in front of the sprocket that allows water to get flicked from the chain straight into the magneto. I've run the later type since they came out & reckon you probably won't come across a better mod