Society Gone Crazy?

Andy

I've just been having a look on the ACU website and spotted their "Child Protection Policy" on the front page. The part on photography is somewhat interesting (to me anyway).

"There is evidence that some people have used sporting events as an opportunity to take inappropriate photographs or film footage of young and disabled sportspeople in vulnerable positions. It is advisable that all sporting organisations adhere to the appropriate guidelines given below:

Professional photographers/filming/video operators wishing to record the event should seek accreditation with the event organiser by producing their professional identification for the details to be recorded. Ideally they should request this at least five working days before the event.

Students or amateur photographers/film/video operators wishing to record the event should seek accreditation with the event organiser by producing their student club or registration card and a letter from their club/educational establishment outlining their motive for attending the event.

All other spectators wishing to use photographic/film/video equipment with a telescopic or zoom lens should register their intent with the promoter of the event.

Accreditation procedure: a system should be adopted whereby a record should be made of the individual

Yep,

For 'normal people' warnings like this do seem crazy, but, it seems that these days children do need protecting more.

Presumably that is why a school local to me has positioned its girls netball court right next to a main road and public footpath......

At least you can spot the pervs

Yes, I agree that the world is going mad.

My son is entering a few diving competitions. I can understand why I need to register to use a camera or video at the local swimming pool comps but not for a sport where the children are fully clothed.

It doesn't stop the real problem people but just makes the rest of us feel guilty for wanting to keep a record of our children's development.

It seems a sad day for all concerned if this is the 'general policy'.

It also seems if a child falls off 'said trials bike' then only their parents can rush to help, as a steward/observer/another unrelated adult could be held liable for 'god know's what', although it's in full view of others and they were genuinely trying to help out and prevent injury.

What a sad world of the over protective PC 'nanny state'.

Dont mean to be alarmist but this could put an end to young uns conducted trials as there should be THREE accredited officials with the rider.

However the entry form does state that an appropriate adult/parent/guardian

has to be with th rider at ALL times during the event.

Stuart - remember last year? It was a gorgeous weekend when you had the Youth round at Skyrakes. I checked the forecast, saw it was good and just turned up. It was a long drive, but it was well worth it. I got the best Trials photos I've ever taken. I'm sure the kids that saw them, and their parents too, were happy and proud to see the photos on the Web.

However - I'm not going to jump in the car and drive for several hours to cover an event if there's even the slightest risk I'll be denied using my camera. That's the whole point of going.

I only glanced over the guide until I came to the photography bit, but I suspect 99% of it is a generic document covering sport and it's only really been published so the ACU can cover themselves against the miniscule chance of anything actually happening. I can understand it for sports like swimming or gymnastics, but to be blunt, Trials doesn't attract the dirty raincoat brigade, nor is it ever likely to.

Didn't we have this out on the TA website a while back. My Son is the trials rider and is nearly 12 and if somebody told him u couldn't take photo's I'm sure u would get an appropriate reply. (He's in the Bo'Selecta generation so the reply might surprise some who are not parents). Yes I can see problems at swimming or gymnastic events. I even got comments about taping My Daughters Christmas play. Those were in jest by the way but u can see the way things are going. Like most dads in "small-wheels" we look out for the kids as we don't want them injured or upset but at times u wonder wheather to stand back or not. I trust the dads there and have had no problems at all and lets face it if the kid is happy (and in my case I make it very easy for him to say if he has problems) then all u do is go with it. If u interfere the kid isn't going to make it. Too many are unable to cope with life as it is. Rant over. Next subject. :P

I can understand it for sports like swimming or gymnastics, but to be blunt, Trials doesn't attract the dirty raincoat brigade, nor is it ever likely to.

There was a thing on my local TV News about parents protesting because they couldn't film their kids football match.

Also with camera's on mobile phones..its easy to sneek one into somewhere.

Is this for protection of kids? Or is it giving in on perverts, you have the rights to film your kids...F the law.

Edited by HRC2002

Agree with you here Andy, im a staff coach and hold coaching certificates and qualifications from that sports governing body and had to be SCRO checked by the police etc before i could coach, no problem as ive nothing to hide, but i still cant offer assistance to an injured or hurt child and the situation gets muddier if you coach girls as well, an adult female has to be present. Youre situation as a recognised photographer,leaves you with the dilemma of having to seek permission to do what you do and does this in turn mean you have to beSCRO checked as well?. as you say mate pc gone mental, sure we must all protect our kids but lets adopt a common sense approach to it.

MERRY CHRISTMAS ANYHOW :hat:

look it sounds bad and on paper were all supsosed to do

like f*** we really are going to do this BS..........

all the ACU have done is copy what every other governing body has done - as you say its generic.

the photography issue is well documented in the media

now at events "press" can sign on (yelloe form) but we only bother at Britmx's as thats the only "press".

I'll (and many others) will still be taking photos at all events

the ACU and all others have to cover our arses on the child protection front

rabie :snowman: