Montesa Cota 311 Clutch Problem

badbikerboy1974

hiya guys,

ive just bought a 1992 cota 311 and im having a bit of difficultly, the bike hasnt been run for quite some time and im trying to bump start it, but i cant.. i cannot disengage the clutch for some reason.. would the clutch plates sieze up from lack of use? having had the bike off the ground and in gear the rear wheel turns, turning the engine over as it should... im pretty well stumped now!! please cany any of you advise what to try next. and the engine is still not running..lol

need more info on why it won't run, what have you tried or done so far? did you clean the carburetor? is it getting fuel, does it have good spark & compression, sometimes the reeds will stick shut after sitting up.

yes the clutch plates will stick together after sitting up. most likely you need to pull the clutch apart & dislodge the fiber plates from the steel plates.

hiya agian,

i stripped the clutch rite down the plates were pretty well stuck together, and everything inside looks good, i re-fitted it all and its still the same. when i pull the clutch lever in it seems like a normal good strong clutch but it just wont disengage like it should..im totally stuck now.

best regards

nick

go ahead and get it running, the clutch probably won't properly disengauge untill you can get it running and warm up the clutch plates.

• 9 years later...