S3 Head Install ?

paxdad

I just read your post again and it sounds like you did use the copper washer on top of the head. seems strange it still leaked.

I take that back, I just looked at a head bolt I had sitting on my shelf. It does get thicker at the top where the copper washer would be sealing, plus I would guess there would be threads where washer is sitting now with the older style studs?

Just out of curiosity, did you get the high compression insert or the High High insert?

I just read your post again and it sounds like you did use the copper washer on top of the head. seems strange it still leaked.

I take that back, I just looked at a head bolt I had sitting on my shelf. It does get thicker at the top where the copper washer would be sealing, plus I would guess there would be threads where washer is sitting now with the older style studs?

Just out of curiosity, did you get the high compression insert or the High High insert?

I purchased the high compression "red" insert. In your previous reply did you use both the fiber washers and the oring? Or did you replace the orings with the fiber washers? It seems that the leak is created with the coolant following the threads on the studs and then out the top of the nut/ stud. if I replace with the flange bolts I hope the seal will be created between the flange and the copper washer. HOPE!!!!

It seems that the leak is created with the coolant following the threads on the studs and then out the top of the nut/ stud. if I replace with the flange bolts I hope the seal will be created between the flange and the copper washer. HOPE!!!!

If it's leaking around the threads between the stud and nut, it won't matter what studs you use, the nuts must be capped, like an 'acorn' nut. It is almost impossible to seal threads on anything with an open end.

If it's leaking around the threads between the stud and nut, it won't matter what studs you use, the nuts must be capped, like an 'acorn' nut. It is almost impossible to seal threads on anything with an open end.

I am replacing with flange bolts.

• 4 weeks later...

I am replacing with flange bolts.

Closing the thread out. Pulled everything back apart and installed M6x1.00 30mm flange bolts with the copper compressions washers and the internal fiber washers that replace the small orings. Problem solved no leaks.

Next problem: coolant leaking out of weep hole so I guess I will replace the seal. Bike seems to run ok having an issue with the idle. Will start another thread for that.