yet another - what van - sorry

hoggyf

toyota hi ace great vans old ones not the best on wet ground recent ones a lot better and run for ever last one owned 10 years 180k and sailed through motprior to selling one before the same now on my third

Tell us more about the Toyota Hiace please?

Someone once said:

If its good enough for the Taliban......

They appear to have an "enviable reputation".

They appear boring and old fashioned, but do they really go on forever and have the lowest running costs, what about real problems, have they any real bad points?

Interested to hear from any Hiace owners.

Big John

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my side of things i have never had a problem with any of the toyota vans i have had, i bought my first one as i had the chance of buying a new one and at the time they were so much cheaper than anything else around at the time 8.5k bought a new van or a 3/4 year old van, i do change the oil more often than the book says, but in twenty years not had a problem, although i dont thrash my van,only slight niggle on the newer vans colour coded bumpers no good when putting bike in and out,newer ones are quicker than the old, lwb van has a more powerful engine, its the same shape as for a good few years but why change if it aint broke, you don,t see that many unless your up and down m18 all the mobile fish merchants run them,

Tell us more about the Toyota Hiace please?

Someone once said:

If its good enough for the Taliban......

They appear to have an "enviable reputation".

They appear boring and old fashioned, but do they really go on forever and have the lowest running costs, what about real problems, have they any real bad points?

Interested to hear from any Hiace owners.

Big John

I think the Taliban quote came from me :biggrinsanta:

I've had mine for 8 years now, only use it for trials & enduro bikes/tip/private use and it's only done 45,000miles.............so not as much as some

Being RWD they can be a bit of a pain in snow/wet grass unless loaded.............but that's the only downside

They only come in one body size height and either SWB (280) and LWB (300) and can carry 1200kg

Mine is a 2002 model and has the D4D Turbo Diesel 2.5litre 4cyl motor (before that they were normally aspirated)

They are a solid relaible bus, with no fancy electrics like windows/aircon/mirrors and have an old fashioned drive train, with a propshaft and no Dual Mass Flywheel clutch set up.

Been out in mine tonight and I haven't started for 4 weeks (snow/ice) and she fired up first click (twin batteries) and has a useful idle lift, which allows you to warm it up whilst loading. She drove spot on tonight

She will cruise at 80mph on the motorway and return 35mpg

Easy to service and sort

Cambelt every 60k and it was only £139 all in, at a main franchise Toyota dealer

I still service her at a main Toyota dealer and last year it was only £89 for an intermediate service and MOT, this year's full service (all oils - engine/gearbox/rear diff) and coolant/brake fuid change and MOT is only £275 - so Toyota dealer is cheaper than an independant :thumbup:

She's been spot on and they do seem to be reliable, the only thing I heard was that I think, the front or rear suspension arms can fail and Toyota will still replace when the vehicle is out of warranty perhaps...............but I think it's rare, apart from that I've heard that nothing else is a worry

Edited by Johnnyboxer

As per what you said baldilocks, see a lot of them cheap (is there a good reason for that??)

Still like the lookk of the Vivaro and hear different things about the gearboxes, some say the go at 70k others say its only the early 6 speed, bloke next door had one and loved it, good on fuel, comfy, fast and had no bother. Any one any info?

As per what you said baldilocks, see a lot of them cheap (is there a good reason for that??)

Still like the lookk of the Vivaro and hear different things about the gearboxes, some say the go at 70k others say its only the early 6 speed, bloke next door had one and loved it, good on fuel, comfy, fast and had no bother. Any one any info?

DO NOT BUY A VIVARO OR ANY OF ITS RENAULT OR NISSAN COUSINS.... electrics ( warning lights, rev counter indicator stalk headlight stalk) diesel pump steering pump rear wheel bearings inc discs all gone in an 04 with 62k on the clock in the last 4 years total bill circa 2k to press spent so much on it cant afford to let it go..

they are NOT vans fro driving round town ) we use it for day to day plumbing work) great on motorways and long journeys.. great for hauling the bike..

just for hauling the bike get a partner or a caddy

Another option to consider is the transit connect LWB, similar size to the pug/citroen dispatch.

I've had a couple over the last few years.

Positives: Good reliability, get at least 2 bikes in (with safety cage installed), 90HP engine decent power.

Negatives: Average fuel consumption (no more then 40MPG), uncomfortable seats, Ford often have difficulty getting parts for some reason!

I've had a number of vans for work.

Currently I have a 2004 Hiace and a 2010 Vito.

The Toyota has 200k on it and has had no issues. It is still on the original clutch!

This is the reason they are sold quickly!

Considering purchase price, reliability and service/repair costs. The Toyota is the best value in my opinion.

I think the Taliban quote came from me :biggrinsanta:

I've had mine for 8 years now, only use it for trials & enduro bikes/tip/private use and it's only done 45,000miles.............so not as much as some

Being RWD they can be a bit of a pain in snow/wet grass unless loaded.............but that's the only downside

They only come in one body size height and either SWB (280) and LWB (300) and can carry 1200kg

Mine is a 2002 model and has the D4D Turbo Diesel 2.5litre 4cyl motor (before that they were normally aspirated)

They are a solid relaible bus, with no fancy electrics like windows/aircon/mirrors and have an old fashioned drive train, with a propshaft and no Dual Mass Flywheel clutch set up.

Been out in mine tonight and I haven't started for 4 weeks (snow/ice) and she fired up first click (twin batteries) and has a useful idle lift, which allows you to warm it up whilst loading. She drove spot on tonight

She will cruise at 80mph on the motorway and return 35mpg

Easy to service and sort

Cambelt every 60k and it was only

Just becaucse someone has had a bad experiance with a vivaro/traffic does not mean you should not buy one if you find one that you like the choice is yours I had a 06 vivaro that I used and abused everday for thickend of 4 yrs never missed a beat if its well looked after should do ok for you have ordered a new traffic (got a better deal on a renault) have been using a transporter for last 9 months and i just dont get what everone raves about its the biggest pile of sh*t I had the pleasure of using. :thumbup:

Just becaucse someone has had a bad experiance with a vivaro/traffic does not mean you should not buy one if you find one that you like the choice is yours I had a 06 vivaro that I used and abused everday for thickend of 4 yrs never missed a beat if its well looked after should do ok for you have ordered a new traffic (got a better deal on a renault) have been using a transporter for last 9 months and i just dont get what everone raves about its the biggest pile of sh*t I had the pleasure of using. :thumbup:

Nice to hear the other side of the argument, as i posted earlier, my next door neighbour had a Vivaro for about 4 yrs and loved it - then bought a transport (go figure that one then!) said he didn't have any problems but knowing my luck if I buy one it'll be a bag of sh*t. Hopefully going to look at a couple of Expert/Dispatch's this weekend, just think the better fuel economy and cheaper price/more for your money side of it will be better with these. Don't think i need anything bigger really but do need 3 seats. :icon_salut:

working in a gearbox place yesterday, they get 3 laguna vivaro boxes a week. Avoid.

VW transporters are great if you get the top end ones, but i doubt any van is perfect second hand it depends what its been treated like and serviced by more than the obvious gearbox defects etc etc.

Anyone had a Citroen Relay / Peugeot Boxer or Fiat Ducato

see them coming up at reasonable money but dont know if they are any good ?

I recently changed my LWB primastar which was my 2nd one and both were absolutely fine.I was struggling to come to terms with prices of new vans, when i was offered by a dealer a 12/07 ducato, 35000m 100bhp 2.2.the price was well under

• 2 weeks later...

I'm testing a Toyota HiAce next weekend at the local dealer. Better variant appears to be LWB 300 2.5 Diesel 117 BHP.

I've run a 54 plate Peugeot Expert 2.0 HDi 110 BHP diesel for 6 years from brand new, it takes three people, three bikes (two loaded facing forward and one facing aft) with all the usual kit and kiboodle, good on fuel MPG, no real issues until recently when the front brakes kept binding after pads and discs fitted. Seems to be OK now. Apart from annual service, replaced a battery, faulty alternator at 6 months old (under warranty) exhaust (but not CAT) and full set of tyres.

Only really used for carry bikes to events, fully lined with ply and I used floor covering that they use in lifts and this ensures the bikes don't creep when being transported.

Its done 44,000 miles since new, but fancy a change and Toyota looks best on reliability, but negative points seem to be poor fuel consumption, not a real issue for me personally and being RWD not good on grassy surfaces, I'd keep a tow rope under the seat!

But literally everyone I have spoken to cannot speak any more highly of the Toyota Hiace. Run for ages, no real common issues. Also local business has a constant fleet of 6 of them for electrical work, they keep ordering "same again".

I've looked into the Vivaro; Trafic etc, just lost interest, not interested thank you, too many issues not considering any of that variant, good size, but that's about it.

Big John

Edited by Big John