sherco 290 due tuning...

ben111uk

Thanks Copemech - had a look at the manual. last time i measured TDC was on my old Indian Enfield. I didnt have a guage so improvised with a pencil. when i turned the flywheel the pencil shot up and crushed itself on the underside of the petrol tank leaving bits of wood and pencil lead in the cylinder head - doh :blush: wont do that again in a hurry !!

Thanks Copemech - had a look at the manual. last time i measured TDC was on my old Indian Enfield. I didnt have a guage so improvised with a pencil. when i turned the flywheel the pencil shot up and crushed itself on the underside of the petrol tank leaving bits of wood and pencil lead in the cylinder head - doh :blush: wont do that again in a hurry !!

Oh god, Well I am not totally sure about your 2000 model, but my 2001 had a scribe mark on the outer top of the case(where cover seats) , an index mark on the outside of the flywheel, and an alignment hole in the flywheel and stator plate that you ran a pin through so everything lined up for standard timing.

And yes, it does seem that if timing is set back too far it may lead to hot exhaust temps due to tomuch unburned fuel going downstream, particulary upon hard running. Which is the reason I think one gan only go the limited amounts here, all based purely upon my own experimentation, of which there has been a fair amount.

All said, same principals apply here as far as amount of rotation of the stator plate goes as the systems are similar in that respect, yet the later leonelli seems to have some advantage in advance curve and high rpm operation.

Thanks everyone for all there help, just a quick question for the -2mm, -4mm, -6mm, how is this measured? with a rule or using a dial guage?? many thanks again

Any simple rule will give a good guage here, or simple referance to a screw diameter for comparison, 6-5 or 4 make good referenance for comparison to your target range. +-1, yeilds none to little perceptable change here. :rolleyes: