07 Sherco 290 starting problems

scotty97

I spoke to the supplier earlier and he said that he also had a bloke from new Zealand phone him to say he fitted a new kickstart and it snapped first kick??? So he asked for some photos so he could contact sherc" about the problem. Got to wait and see what they say. 75 pound for an alloy banana is a bit much??

Does seem a spotty issue with the things going bannana, but I have seen this before so you can use me as a referance on that(or Ryan Young as well), happened on a brand new bike out the box over a day!

ps- You might need a really good #1 phillips driver and a bit of blue locktite for those tiny reed screws as I recall.

I spoke to the supplier earlier and he said that he also had a bloke from new Zealand phone him to say he fitted a new kickstart and it snapped first kick??? So he asked for some photos so he could contact sherc" about the problem. Got to wait and see what they say. 75 pound for an alloy banana is a bit much??

Wasn't me, mine is bent a little bit though-sits away from the pipe by about 10mm

I don't want ot even contemplate what the lever is worth over here now that you pay for freight to australia then more to NZ, probably not much change from $400 :unsure:

Had a reply from the dealer (not mentioning any names) who said he spoke to the importer, and said that the kickstart was not covered as it was over 3 months old, although it had only been used 3 times.

Dealer offered me a small discount off new kickstart.

As you can imagine i was pi*sed, so i sent an email complaint straight to Sherco and copied the importer, the importer got back to me and asked which dealer i had purchased the part from and spoke to, as the importer didnt know anything about my problem. I then received another email off the importer saying he's sorry to hear that i was dealt with in this way and that certain products do not fall under the 3 month warranty rule. (such as kickstart snaping or bending, or something like a faulty stator).

The importer then asked me to return my kickstart and it would be replaced with a new one.

Im glad to see that some people look after their customers and not just their profits.

Hi my 05 250 started the same way as you have described, then it kicked back and splutters a lot, I have it running like a dream now after fitting a new stator, might just be worth retarding the timing, I tried lots of different ideas of good help from people on this site. In the end I bit the bullet and went for a stator, might not be your problem but worth checking it out.

Anyone know the best way to get the kickstart off the knuckle, is it just undo the grub screw and pull it off, or is there a technique.

Does the ball bearing lock it in place???

Hi I got mine off with plenty wd40 prize it up with a small crowbar, the ball berating I had to cut around it with a hacksaw to get it out, kickstart had snapped so it was no good, good luck hope you sort it

Anyone know the best way to get the kickstart off the knuckle, is it just undo the grub screw and pull it off, or is there a technique.

Does the ball bearing lock it in place???

Should come off after loostening the grub screw. Swing the lever out halfway so the ball is not in the detents.

Might be best to remove the entire assy. and do it on the workbench so as to not loose the ball and spring! :thumbup:

Hi, the importer said to send it back as a complete assembly and he'll take the lever off the knuckle and replace it as its a bit of a pain. So fairplay to him, really helpful.

Is there anyway of checking the stator??

Im hoping that the problem was down to carb having dirt and moisture it it, I've cleaned it out, going to retard the timing slightly, fresh petrol and then all i need to try it is my kickstart.

FINGERS CROSSED!!!!

Hi, the importer said to send it back as a complete assembly and he'll take the lever off the knuckle and replace it as its a bit of a pain. So fairplay to him, really helpful.

Is there anyway of checking the stator??

Im hoping that the problem was down to carb having dirt and moisture it it, I've cleaned it out, going to retard the timing slightly, fresh petrol and then all i need to try it is my kickstart.

FINGERS CROSSED!!!!

What do you mean by checking the stator, if you mean what should the resistance readings be then have a look at splatshop's site or search through some of the threads here as it's been posted a few times before

Just wanted to add that the dealer has now spent time to contact me and explain where the confusion must have occured, Seems a top man!!!

(he could have chucked some freebies in for the stress!! ha ha only joking)

Well, whatever happened it does seem they have come to their senses. As I stated this is a spotty issue, but the importer has seen it as well, and no fault of your own.

Push start the friggin thing to see if it runs you puss! :rolleyes:

PUSH START????

I used to bump start my WR400, with a steep hill and a big jump on the back end to stop the skidding as you engaged the gear, but when i tried on the 290 before, it just skidded to a standstill

Is there another technique to do this on a trials bike????

Received my replacement kickstart off the importer, sent one day and received it back two days later, quite impressed with the service.

Right, the kickstart seems to be a bit beefier, i was just wondering if they changed design slightly for the newer bikes, cos it looks alot better than the original one on my 2007 bike???

Lets hope i get some spare time today to get out to the garage.

Just a little update, cleaned carb, changed plug, air filter etc and fitted new kickstart, give her a go and she started 2nd kick, little beauty!! Haha.

Hav'nt retarding timing yet so that's a little job for this wk.

Carb was full of **** and found a bit of crap in the tip of the sparkplug ( plug was new, so shows you can get duff ones)

Cheers for all your help fellas