Speed Limits

gizza5

I manage part of a company and we run a fleet of Transits...Ideal for the weekend to put the bike in :wall:B)

I have just received through the post, 2 seperate incidents, one in Wiltshire and one in Yorkshire of my vehicles speeding on a Dual Carrigeway, one at 75mph and one at 72mph.

I actually thought the police were being a bit petty, however they did enclose a Government leaflet which reads:

Built up Areas

Cars 30mph Panel Vans 30mph

Single Carriageway

Cars 60mph Panel Vans 50mph

Dual Carriageway

Cars 70mph Panel Vans 60mph

Motorways

Cars 70mph Panel Vans 70mph

So maybe not so petty as they were both speeding.........Maybe they are having another go at getting more coffers out of the motorist.

I was not aware of this but.............I don't do 70mph on a Dual Carriageway or 60mph on a Single Carriageway.......my van labours at this speed :wall::wall:

So be warned

Of course those silly rules don't apply to the outside lane :wall:

I tell you what really get's on my nerves at the moment - People sitting in the middle lane when there's nowt in the inside lane.

Sexist comment coming up - Normally women with glasses, with their seats pushed so far forward they could steer with their **** (Just an observation) :wall:

Some people forget that trailers aren't allowed in the outside lane of the motorway either, although technically, I suppose you shouldn't be doing 90 and therefore having to go in to the outside lane to overtake the aforementioned. :wall:

Don't get me started on this one. The whole middle lane/ outside lane thing really p****s me off. "Oooh - there'a truck in the inside 3 miles away, I'll just pull out now so I don't lose my place - even though the truck is doing 56mph and I'm only doing 57 in a 70 limit". I don't flash. You inevitably just get rude gestures back as they can't see they'e doing anything wrong. Now I just undertake and sod it (For the Americans who can overtake in any lane, undertaking is still technically illegal in the UK). If I get done then they have to get done too for driving without due care and arttention.

And don't even go near my thoughts on ****wits who drive with their front fog lights on because it looks cool. It dazzles. End of story. Especially if roads are wet.

Suffice to say I own the domain stupiddrivers.co.uk - One day I'll get round to doing something with it.

You should all try living here for a while. They are the worst drivers EVER. They'll sit in the fast lane of a dual carriageway for 3 miles or so, just because they've gotta turn right..(in 3 miles time!!!)

THe ammount of accidents I've seen here on a STRAIGHT UPHILL road are just incredible. ANd as for my bike ride home from work late at night...well...drink driving is MASSIVE here. Last week I saw a car mount the pavement about 7 times in about 4 mins!!!!!!!........(driving test here lasts about 10 mins...doesnt include a roundabout/dual carriageway or anything!!!!!!!!!).....I strongly reccomend it to anyone who wants an easy pass!!!!!!!...'cause here's the scarey bit!...a Hong Kong license is still valid for use in UK.

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! :wall::wall:

Suffice to say I own the domain stupiddrivers.co.uk - One day I'll get round to doing something with it.

Get this web site up and running asap mate, it's a cracker! I totally agree with you! Those twats that drive their bloody front fogs on really do my head in too! I put full beam on to p*** them off!

Edited by boofont

When did this law/rule come in?

This law has applied for at least as long as i've had my license (10 years). I used to drive the works pick-up (panel van derived) and was nailed for a similar offence. I soon realised the copper didn't like being told he had made a genuine mistake and that I wouldn't mind if he kept the matter to himself! :wall: Didn't work !:wall:

Is it written down anywhere how you define a van?.

My trials transport is a LWB Landrover. It started off as a panel van, so no argument there, 'cept it now has full length side windows, like a car or a Landrover station wagon the V5 just says Landrover, and what about the Japanese 'crewcab pickup' they have four doors and lots of windows like a car, just the boot lid missing really and you can buy one of those from Ifor Williams! It seems to me that as vehicle manufacturers adapt to niche markets and tax laws the definition becomes muddied.

BTW R2W trials, I also pedal a BMW and it astonishes me how rude other drivers can be, getting in the way and suchlike.

Sorry to say Andy stupiddrivers.co.uk sums undertaking up up to me!

How many times have you seen it? A numpty sitting in the oustide lane doing 55 in a 70 limit with nothing on the inside apart from the distant speck of an HGV a mile in the distance. (The M1 is particularly bad for this). Should I sit behind said numpty also doing 55?

I've driven in the US where overtaking is allowed in any lane and it works. You're not held up by aforementioned numpties and traffic flows more freely as nobody is held up by those chosing to drive selfishly. As long as you know to expect it, it's fine. We wouldn't have half the congestion we do if people returned to the left after overtaking.

If there is time for you to pass someone on the left safely then there is time for him to pull over and let you past.

Having said that someone passed me the other day on the left when I was doing slightly more than 69mph and I thought he was going to hit the truck I was about to pass. Really frightened me.

You don't drive a black Focus with a jacket hanging in the back door window do you?