Beta Fork Seals

j@mes

How hard is it to change the fork seals on a 02 beta by a complet novice mechanic bleeding brakes is about my limit. what technique how do i split the forks. any special tools. Or do i just chuck it at my local bike shop and tell them to sort it.

Heck...if you can bleed the brakes on a trials bike, I guess no mechanical feat is out of your grasp!

Somebody correct me if Betas are different, but, in general:

-Loosen top clamp

-Remove top cap (if they are cartridge forks, you will have to compress fork slightly to get top cap to release after unscrewed)

-Loosen bottom clamp and remove fork

-Remove spring and dump oil

-Remove bolt in bottom of slider(sometimes the innards will spin with it. If so, try an impact gun. If no impact gun, try putting spring and cap back in. Sometimes this will exert enough pressure to keep innards still. If you still can't get it to stay still, look at what's spinning in there and try to improvise something to keep it still).

-Pull tube out of slider. If it stops with a "bunk" sound, push it in and pull it out and, like a slide hammer, it will come out and take the seal out with it. Make sure you remove snapring above the seal, if there is one.

-Pull the seals out (if the tube came out without it). Invest in a seal puller. They're cheap and last forever.

-Place new seal squarely on top of leg (lube the outer diameter), place the old seal on top of the new seal, and tap around in a circle with a hammer, driving the seal evenly in.

-as they say in the books. ..assembly is the reverse of disassembly.

After tightening triple clamps, tighten the axle and clamp. Save the fork/fender brace for last and make sure all the holes line up. If not, enlarge them a little.

OR---Do like Ray Peters told me he once did---go off about a 15 foot dropoff, and blow the seals clean out!

Not a moment too soon, me old china! I was about to post the exact same question. I've done it a couple of times on my old Gasser, but that was easy since the top of the lower forks unscrew and come off complete with seal. The Beta looks a little more... involved. Now I am truly enlightened. Thanks Charlie!

One more question however - how much oil in each leg? Standard fill weight? Thanks!

Now I know we are talking Beta here, but having just done a GG set, you may find the Ryan Young - Sherco Seal Replacement service guide very useful :(

To be found at:

http://www.shercousa.com/pdfs/sherco_fork_...placement-1.pdf

The only special tube that you need is a piece of plastic tube to drive the new seal into the fork leg - needs to be at least 38 mm internal diameter and slightly less than 48mm outside diameter and 10 or so inches long.

Charlies advice is as spot on as ever.

A couple of things to stress and hopefully help..since Ove done my Rev3 ones a couple of times.

The Fork legs..WILL come away from the uppers like Charlie says..but sometimes it takes quite alot of pulling apart..so keep trying.

Also to put the new seals in, I find a piece of plastic drainpipe is excellent for that. (make sure you buy the appropriate size)..place down and over the fork stantion...sit the pipe on top of the new seal and tap with hammer...that way the seal is being tapped all around to ensure going in level........also still use the old seal like Charlie suggests.

HOPE that makes sense!!??

Fork oil on Rev3 neonsurge is 370cc in right leg and 350cc in left leg.

I usually use 5W oil..but I THINK some people might use 10W??

GOOD LUCK :(