Sheffield & Hallamshire trial 13th February

tricky dicky

Hi all,

this Sunday 13th February, Sheffield & Hallamshire mc are running a trial at Dudwood Farm, Elton in Derbyshire with a start time of 10:30am. This is a change to our usual Eadons Fields venue and will be a bit of a change. All classes are catered for except sidecars and youth D class. The trial will have 3 routes: hard, clubman and easy and will be run under no-stop rules. The trial will be layed out very flowing with nothing silly and will be a good day out for all. The easy route is aimed at riders wanting a nice run round with their mates and is suitable for beginners. It would be nice to see a few of you there. Observers are always required and will be rewarded in cash for their services.

Hi all,

this Sunday 13th February, Sheffield & Hallamshire mc are running a trial at Dudwood Farm, Elton in Derbyshire with a start time of 10:30am. This is a change to our usual Eadons Fields venue and will be a bit of a change. All classes are catered for except sidecars and youth D class. The trial will have 3 routes: hard, clubman and easy and will be run under no-stop rules. The trial will be layed out very flowing with nothing silly and will be a good day out for all. The easy route is aimed at riders wanting a nice run round with their mates and is suitable for beginners. It would be nice to see a few of you there. Observers are always required and will be rewarded in cash for their services.

Hope you have a good turn out i like riding at Barrys. As a matter of interest, us being neighbours like, how much do you reward observers? Interested because we always struggle to get all sections manned and i am always interested in ways to rectify that. I have always been an advocate of rewards but our bottle of wine just doesnt seem to be working.

I have seen clubs offering free rides if they bring an observer and it doesnt seem to bring them out. Obviously winter isn't ideal for observers but any sort of incentive helps. A lot of the problem I see is parents not willing to observe and insist on running round after their kids. Fair enough when they have either just started or are C/D class age but anything above that is a bit silly in my eyes.

I know when you join Earl Shilton you have to put down a date for one of the 12 trials they run in the year where you will provide an observer. Superb idea I think.

I have seen clubs offering free rides if they bring an observer and it doesnt seem to bring them out. Obviously winter isn't ideal for observers but any sort of incentive helps. A lot of the problem I see is parents not willing to observe and insist on running round after their kids. Fair enough when they have either just started or are C/D class age but anything above that is a bit silly in my eyes.

I know when you join Earl Shilton you have to put down a date for one of the 12 trials they run in the year where you will provide an observer. Superb idea I think.

[/quote ]

:agreed:

Like the Earl Shilton idea it's similar to how a lot of moto cross clubs work it. Think it would do a lot of riders good to have to observe at least one round a year. Some of them wont even pick the board up when we are short and have to observe each other. All we ask is you observe the next man through and then pass it on to him but some cant even be bothered to do that. Please let us know how you went on afterwards because i know youve struggled with entries at some events in the past and truly hope your new format is a success. More riders taking part benifits all the clubs in the centre even though we are a "Classic Club" a few of our riders also have modern bikes and are members of both of your clubs. Good luck. :thumbup:

Cheers!

I hope we get a good entry like in the last few trials we have organised.

I know exactly what you mean about the riders that wont pick up the board even to watch their mates through. It really does annoy me but never mind!

I think we may have a bit of competition as Macclesfield are running a trial on Sunday but it would be nice to have an even share.

Lets just hope the weather stays kind now.

Not wanting to go off the theme of your post,

but riders observing - that can fill a few pages of rants!

How many times have you picked up the board and next rider is a kid,

you let him through & he doesn't come back,

then his dad appears 'sorry mate got to catch up with me son'

So you turn round & a queue has built up who think you are the observer!

At OTF's club they tend to put board at the ends card so you can hand the board over before they ride off!

The only problem is the riders are that old, non of them can see small print,

They need to put a pair of spec's with the board!

I completely agree that you can end up stuck there for easy half an hour if you dont make the decision to put the board down. If the board is passed to the next rider it flows well but its not that simple. We put the boards at the end of the section if we cant get observers but it always seems to be the same few that will get off their bikes and pick the board up. As stated we could rant about this for pages and pages. Hopefully we will get a full quota of observers for this weekends event.

I completely agree that you can end up stuck there for easy half an hour if you dont make the decision to put the board down. If the board is passed to the next rider it flows well but its not that simple. We put the boards at the end of the section if we cant get observers but it always seems to be the same few that will get off their bikes and pick the board up. As stated we could rant about this for pages and pages. Hopefully we will get a full quota of observers for this weekends event.

Tricky... surely you know the real reason!

Most of the trials riders who don't pick the board up to observe are thicko's... Think yourself blessed that you can observe and the others dont ... just think what scores would be written down!!!

"twelveteen" "4" "wibble" or "X" etc.

Edited by Rosey

Tricky... surely you know the real reason!

Most of the trials riders who don't pick the board up to observe are thicko's... Think yourself blessed that you can observe and the others dont ... just think what scores would be written down!!!

"twelveteen" "4" "wibble" or "X" etc.

You saw some of the section cards from our last event then :chairfall: many a true word said in jest.

How did things go? Was it mega muddy? We have a trial there in two weeks time just wondered how the sections were and did you get a good turn out inc observers?

Great trial, well set out (tough day but I certainly felt like I had a good day out). Mega muddy doesn't even cover it. Lots of riders, observers on all the sections. All in all a very good trial, well done to all the club members...

Glad you enjoyed the trial Billy. I wasn't keen on having section 10 in but that was the request of Barry as he wanted us to ride that way back to the carpark. I think the clubman and easy route turned out too hard and this has been addressed. We dont normally use Dudwood and what looks easy can soon change. Good entry with an excellent standard on the hard route. We had a full house of observers well before the 10:30 start time aswell so all in all a good day. To say it was muddy was a massive understatement!!!!!!