Bored Of Bearings

neonsurge

After reading the thread re. rear suspension play in another section recently, while checking my bike prior to tomorrow's trial I thought I'd see if there was any play on my bike. Bugger me, there's about 15mm vertical play in the swingarm (although no horizontal movement, fortunately).

I guess the problem is where the linkage connects to the bottom of the shock, correct? Is it a difficult job for a mechanically-challenged person such as myself?

Can be a tricky job :P

You'll need a good vice to press the new bearings back in,

I would have a guess that there is play in your suspension linkage bearings.

The last ones I did were on an old Beta TR34, the bearings cost me best part of

Actually, it's pretty easy.

If you check the Sherco website, there's a great article (with pics) about servicing the bearings.

The Sherco and the GG are quite similar.

Don't bother disconnecting the shock at the top.

Use a little heat and just the right size socket to tap out the bearings.

If you keep them straight, you can tap them in carefully with a plastic hammer or a regular hammer with a block of wood to protect the bearing.

It's a shame this job has to be done so often. My TY350 had grease nipples and the original bearings were tight after 17 years.

Your not wrong about it being a shame having to do the bearings so often wasn't it great on the TY250 with the grease nipples, one quick pump on them with a grease gun after washing the bike and they would last forever. I`ve got my 95 Gas Gas suspension in parts at the moment to renew the bearings. :santa1:

Thanks for all the advice. I knew that this bike needed "a little work" when I bought it, but the amount I'm spending on spares (including c&s, wheel and head bearings, wiring loom, muffler and assorted other bits and pieces so far) are starting to make what I originally thought was a bit of a bargain look like a false economy!

Still, the engine's fine so far....

...bang!!

:P

When changing out bearings, I use a couple of well selected sockets and a bench vise.

Find a socket that is just slightly smaller than the bearing OD, then another with a ID greater than that of the bearing. Place the link in the vise, one socket on one side, the second on the other. Then tighten the vise. It works just like a press to push the bearing out.

Nice and smooth, no hammering needed. Reverse the procedure for reinstallation.

Shameless plug I guess, but here is a very nice way to do it. The others work fine as well.

https://secure.rypusa.com/prodpage.cfm?Cat_...ct_Selected=258

Smooth, no muss, no fuss no damaged bearings.

Oh, and forgot to add, that while you may be able to get the bearings from a bearing house, I doubt you will be able to get the "inner Race" or hat bushing, which if you have toasted the bearing the odds are good that it needs to be replaced as well.

Support your local shop, and they will support you when you are in a bind.

Edited by Alan Bechard

While I've been surprised how easy my GasGas is to work on compared to the 4-stroke trail and enduro bikes I've been riding for the past few years, I think this job will be a step too far for me and since I have a very friendly local dealer, I think I'll just let him have at it and ask if I can watch.

Thanks for everyone's help!

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be tempted to just buy the complete dogbones and put them in yourself.

But first, take them all off yourself and have a look. Taking the "bones" off is not a big job. Then you'll have them on the bench where you can take a good look and likely tell if they are elongated or not.

It's really not a huge undertaking, really. I have to do a set on a friends 200 Pro and will take pics for you and give you a "step by step" toutorial, with pics if you want.

New bearings or old I would recommend packing them with a mixture of waterproof wheel bearing grease and anti seize. I have been doing this to all of my bikes for several years and have never had to replace a bearing. However bearing life is very dependent on the riding conditions. I try to stay out of water as much as possible.

Wayne

It's really not a huge undertaking, really.  I have to do a set on a friends 200 Pro and will take pics for you and give you a "step by step" toutorial, with pics if you want.

Thanks for the offer, although just replacing the whole dogbone assemblies doesn't look too difficult - I might send out an SOS if I do manage to screw it up though! I use the old adage of "if it ain't coming off, clamp it with mole grips and hit it with a mallet".

Wayne - Not riding in water and wet mud isn't really an option in Yorkshire!!

Neonsurge: The dogbone assys have been updated with a stronger more beefy design. They also come with bearings in them. The chances of your old ones being useable after all that clunking is virtually none. Replace them both.