Midlands Practise - Linley Woods

woody

This is one for you Midlands guys who have been using Linley Woods to practise in.

If what I have heard today is correct, it seems that this piece of land, used for unobtrusive trials practise by small numbers of people for about thirty years, is now lost.

Apparantly, the element of the 4x4 brigade that don't give a sh*t about anything but themselves discovered it and have been doing what they do best, carving the place up and causing considerable damage. This resulted in the residents getting a little miffed and calling the police. To even get in they must have driven through bushes or something because as far as I can remember the only entrance is only wide enough to get a bike through, not a vehicle, although it's been a while since I was there and memory not so good. I was also told they even had a bloody digger in there and if that is true it beggars belief what they were up to. People were supposedly led away in handcuffs but stories always get exaggerated so don't know if this is true or not.

So it now looks as though local tolerance of this piece of land has come to an end and no more practising there.

Any of you local lads that ride over there know whether this is true or not.

This isn't an attack on all 4x4 users as obvioulsly any group of enthusiasts has its irresponsible element, just like off-road motorcycling has, but this comes just 2 weeks after we lost a cracking section of a local enduro course (used for club organised enduros and trials) 4x4s have been on the farm and left ruts so deep all over the wooded hillside section that it is now unrideable on an enduro bike without risking serious injury. This means that the most technical and enjoyable part of the course is now unusable for enduros.

I have used Linley Woods for years !

What you have heard is mostly correct Woody !

It is probably the land owner that has contacted the police.

I take it you've had a chat to Colin ?

I went down there about 3 weeks ago to have a potter about and fettle the bike.

I found about 7 Quads tanking around in there and upon going further into the woods I saw a LWB Land Rover FULL of Chavs ( Scallies ) sliding out of control down a slope ! Turns out there were two kids in the L Rover prob aged about 4 and 8 !!!!!!!

Anyone that knows Linley Woods will know that it does lend itself well to Trials riding but not much else. There is no room for MX or Enduros to get up to speed and the Noise made by these machines is a problem when compared to Trials bikes.

On my last visit ( 3 weeks ago ) I just could not recognise the place ! All of the single track sections have just been turned into 5 metre wide mud tracks. There is little or no grass visible anymore and as for grip, well, I fitted a new back tyre the day before I went and I could not get grip anywhere !

In short the place has been devastated by Quad and 4x4 driving idiots !

So I got in touch with the landowners and explained the situation.

I also wrote an Email to LARA for some advice.

Woody is right that there was tollerance of Trials riding in the woods for years but I think that all is now lost !

I know that LARA were meeting with the AMCA and were going to raise the issue of LInley Woods.

Any help or advice on this would be great !

Good news is that the Rugeley place has the go ahead to re-open after comprehensive sound checks !

Here is a copy of the Email I sent to LARA.

Dear Sir / Madam

My name is Jon and I live in a town called Aldridge in the West Midlands.

I am writing this Email just to ask for a little bit of advice about a piece of land in our area

that is commonly known as 'Linley Woods'.

The area is woodland that lies upon heavily subsided ground which makes an

attractive venue for 2 wheeled off road motor vehicles.

The subidence is mainly due to lime stone mining that was carried out in the area many years ago.

This land has been used by people for decades to walk dogs, ride pushbikes and Motorcycle Trials Bikes

without any sigificant damage ( albeit with no official permission from the land owner ).

Unfortunatly recent use of the land by Motocross Riders, Quad Bike Riders and even 4x4 drivers

has seriously eroded the area making it nearly impossible to Walk on or ride Pushbikes and Trials Bikes.

The area has also become very dangerous to walkers and even Trials riders due to the speed at which

Quads and MotoX bikes are being ridden in such a confind space.

I am a Motorcycle Trials Rider and as such I am naturally commited to the safe and respetful use of the land

that I ride on whether it be for practise or competition.

I have ridden in Linley Woods many times and have always done so safely and taken great care not to stray

from existing tracks and paths.

The people who are riding MotoX and Quad bikes ( mainly Quads ) are creating far more noise than other users

and therefore are making a nuisence of themselves to local residents ( 400 yards from the entrace to the woods).

There also apears to be no effort by these people to ride in a respectful and safe manner, with only one person

out of six being observed by myself using a helmet.

I have recently made contact with the land owners widow to inform her of the damage that has been done in the

woods over the winter months. I found out from her that her husband had sadly only passed away 7 months ago.

I obviously gave her my condolences and offerd to leave her in peace but she did tell me that her daughter was

going to try and look after the land but she is busy at work.

I also found out that her daughter is a keen horse rider and does many events.

She did invite me to call back when her daughter was home to discuss any worries or requests with her.

As you will know many Trials and Off Road venues happily co-exist with Horse Riding and other outdoor

recreational pursuits.

I also know that Cavers use caves in the woods as these caves run for miles under the Walsall area due to the

old Mine tunnels.

It would be a real shame if the place was just fenced off for only Dog walkers to use, which I fear will happen if

the land is not controlled properly.

The owners of the land have a great oportunity to provide a brilliant facility for the area and also great potential

for a good income from an other wise useless piece of land.

I need some advice on how to re-approach the land owners and make them aware of the potential in the land

I can offer some of my own sparetime to help regulate the use of the land.

Also how would I go about confidentially obtaining a valuation on the land ?

I would be very gratefull if you could contact me ASAP with your opinions and suggestions on this matter.

Yours Faithfully

Jon ********

Edited by Spokes
  • Like 1

• 17 years later...
On 2/24/2005 at 8:31 PM, spokes said:

I have used Linley Woods for years !

What you have heard is mostly correct Woody !

It is probably the land owner that has contacted the police.

I take it you've had a chat to Colin ?

I went down there about 3 weeks ago to have a potter about and fettle the bike.

I found about 7 Quads tanking around in there and upon going further into the woods I saw a LWB Land Rover FULL of Chavs ( Scallies ) sliding out of control down a slope ! Turns out there were two kids in the L Rover prob aged about 4 and 8 !!!!!!!

Anyone that knows Linley Woods will know that it does lend itself well to Trials riding but not much else. There is no room for MX or Enduros to get up to speed and the Noise made by these machines is a problem when compared to Trials bikes.

On my last visit ( 3 weeks ago ) I just could not recognise the place ! All of the single track sections have just been turned into 5 metre wide mud tracks. There is little or no grass visible anymore and as for grip, well, I fitted a new back tyre the day before I went and I could not get grip anywhere !

In short the place has been devastated by Quad and 4x4 driving idiots !

So I got in touch with the landowners and explained the situation.

I also wrote an Email to LARA for some advice.

Woody is right that there was tollerance of Trials riding in the woods for years but I think that all is now lost !

I know that LARA were meeting with the AMCA and were going to raise the issue of LInley Woods.

Any help or advice on this would be great !

Good news is that the Rugeley place has the go ahead to re-open after comprehensive sound checks !

Here is a copy of the Email I sent to LARA.

Dear Sir / Madam

My name is Jon and I live in a town called Aldridge in the West Midlands.

I am writing this Email just to ask for a little bit of advice about a piece of land in our area

that is commonly known as 'Linley Woods'.

The area is woodland that lies upon heavily subsided ground which makes an

attractive venue for 2 wheeled off road motor vehicles.

The subidence is mainly due to lime stone mining that was carried out in the area many years ago.

This land has been used by people for decades to walk dogs, ride pushbikes and Motorcycle Trials Bikes

without any sigificant damage ( albeit with no official permission from the land owner ).

Unfortunatly recent use of the land by Motocross Riders, Quad Bike Riders and even 4x4 drivers

has seriously eroded the area making it nearly impossible to Walk on or ride Pushbikes and Trials Bikes.

The area has also become very dangerous to walkers and even Trials riders due to the speed at which

Quads and MotoX bikes are being ridden in such a confind space.

I am a Motorcycle Trials Rider and as such I am naturally commited to the safe and respetful use of the land

that I ride on whether it be for practice or competition.

I have ridden in Linley Woods many times and have always done so safely and taken great care not to stray

from existing tracks and paths.

The people who are riding MotoX and Quad bikes ( mainly Quads ) are creating far more noise than other users

and therefore are making a nuisence of themselves to local residents ( 400 yards from the entrace to the woods).

There also apears to be no effort by these people to ride in a respectful and safe manner, with only one person

out of six being observed by myself using a helmet.

I have recently made contact with the land owners widow to inform her of the damage that has been done in the

woods over the winter months. I found out from her that her husband had sadly only passed away 7 months ago.

I obviously gave her my condolences and offerd to leave her in peace but she did tell me that her daughter was

going to try and look after the land but she is busy at work.

I also found out that her daughter is a keen horse rider and does many events.

She did invite me to call back when her daughter was home to discuss any worries or requests with her.

As you will know many Trials and Off Road venues happily co-exist with Horse Riding and other outdoor

recreational pursuits.

I also know that Cavers use caves in the woods as these caves run for miles under the Walsall area due to the

old Mine tunnels.

It would be a real shame if the place was just fenced off for only Dog walkers to use, which I fear will happen if

the land is not controlled properly.

The owners of the land have a great oportunity to provide a brilliant facility for the area and also great potential

for a good income from an other wise useless piece of land.

I need some advice on how to re-approach the land owners and make them aware of the potential in the land

I can offer some of my own sparetime to help regulate the use of the land.

Also how would I go about confidentially obtaining a valuation on the land ?

I would be very gratefull if you could contact me ASAP with your opinions and suggestions on this matter.

Yours Faithfully

Jon ********

I responded to the other post about rugeley practice area.

Seems the landowner lost the battle and the great site is lost.

Can anyone else confirm this please?