Over heating rev3

tomtom385

Advice please,

i have a 2004 270, it has begun to overheat, the result is steam and coolant coming out of the overflow. it has a new thermostat and the fan is cutting in and out, although when i bridged the connections to enable the fan to run constantly the overheating ceased. i am using putoline readymixed coolant. but interestingly it did not overheat with just water in the system. the water pump seems to be working ok. could it be the rad cap. any suggestions

Cheers,

Tom,

Have you lost any coolant into the cluch/gearbox, causing the remaining coolant to boil? if so check behind your water pump impellor for corrosion and shaft seal wear!

No i have not checked this, but the clutch started to slip when the overheating problem manifest itself. fingers crossed its not the casing, strange how it didnt do it with just water in it??

Cheers,

Tom,

Have you lost any coolant into the cluch/gearbox, causing the remaining coolant to boil? if so check behind your water pump impellor for corrosion and shaft seal wear!

Hi JFC,

you were right, casing looked like someone had taken a gouge to it, its amazing, the effects of cavitation, but luckily have got some repair gear used for marine applications. the impellor had quite a bit of float on the shaft, so did the bearing. so will change them whilst the casing is off. alot of limescale in there, lying git who sold me the bike told me, its all sweet in there, only used putoline coolant, yeh right mate. buyers beware!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi JFC,

you were right, casing looked like someone had taken a gouge to it, its amazing, the effects of cavitation, but luckily have got some repair gear used for marine applications. the impellor had quite a bit of float on the shaft, so did the bearing. so will change them whilst the casing is off. alot of limescale in there, lying git who sold me the bike told me, its all sweet in there, only used putoline coolant, yeh right mate. buyers beware!!!!!!!!!!!!