front sproket seals

bondy

:guinness: i need your help please im struggling to put a new seal in the final end drive of the front sprocket. its doning my head in ive nearly finished my 199A and somthing so small is getting the better of me. it was leaking oil so ive changed the seal and bush behide the sprocket and o ring. im abit confused witch way the final end seal gose? normaly seals go with the open end inwards. but pete from bultaco uk said it gose in with the open end facing outwards? ive tryed taping it in but seem to damage the seal so your help would be mutch appriceated

The small seal you are talking about is best pried out gently with a sharp pick. Make sure that the end of the shaft isn`t galled or burred. Grease the seal completely and find a socket the same OD of the seal. Gently tap the new seal into place. It just needs to be flush with sleeve gear end. Usually the spring side of a seal will go towards the inside of the engine. On this small seal that bultaco used depending on which direction the inside lip goes the spring could possibly be out. easiest way to tell is to look at which way the rubber seal lip faces. Install it so that the stretched side goes out so that when installing it it doesn`t hook on the gear and rip when being installed.

If you don`t already have one I strongly recommend that you buy a parts manual for this model and also get the Bultaco service manual. Both are available from Dave Renham and are invaluable for this type of thing. I have the parts book open if front of me now and it plainly shows what order all the parts go in. The service manual also explains seal installation procedures. Hope this helps

Steve

Edited by BultacoSteve

The small seal you are talking about is best pried out gently with a sharp pick. Make sure that the end of the shaft isn`t galled or burred. Grease the seal completely and find a socket the same OD of the seal. Gently tap the new seal into place. It just needs to be flush with sleeve gear end. Usually the spring side of a seal will go towards the inside of the engine. On this small seal that bultaco used depending on which direction the inside lip goes the spring could possibly be out. easiest way to tell is to look at which way the rubber seal lip faces. Install it so that the stretched side goes out so that when installing it it doesn`t hook on the gear and rip when being installed.

If you don`t already have one I strongly recommend that you buy a parts manual for this model and also get the Bultaco service manual. Both are available from Dave Renham and are invaluable for this type of thing. I have the parts book open if front of me now and it plainly shows what order all the parts go in. The service manual also explains seal installation procedures. Hope this helps

Steve

hello again steve ive just had a look at the gear end shaft and i noticed a metal ring. witch befor i thought it was part of the shaft but i was wrong. i got it out with a small flat driver. seal whent in no probs. i put seal in with spring facing out but oil still comming out so ill try it the other way.