Re packing...

cabby

Following on from This topic my exhaust was smoking big time today, wondered what the problem was, as I had my usual mix, then someone pointed out it needs re packed, and when inspecting it, it was almost on fire, like had melted the guard and some of the mudgaurd, and was boiling hot.

So, again, the question is, does this sound like a re pack job and if so, what would cause this on a 2010 bike ??

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, same oil in as ever, 80 - 1, and was ridden pretty hard just before it started to melt the plastics and smoke like 'ell.

Yea, but problem here is it was likely not ridden hard prior to that, so you got a lot of old grunge laying in there which you just lit off, and even a 80:1 ratio can accumuluate excess when putting about. Our pro's run 80:1 and sufficient. You may have a lot of accumulatin in motor and muff if putting about in a small area.

I try to do a good hard run, yet brief, every time out, just to keep things flowing. This helps prevent the "lighting off' and eecess heat build up associated with it.

Long story short, you should be ok for a bit, but still need to give it some stick to get heat in the muff.

If you are pputting primarily, you may consider going to 100:1, yet this may limit your hard running times or road work. Helps in preventing excess accumulations.

Send the muffler to me and I'll turn it into flame thrower for 15 mins... It'll be dead clean and half the weight after that....And I'll have 15min of fun too :rotfl:

Ok Cope you can hand out all the safety warnings now :blush:

Best of balance.

Neo

Edited by Neo

OK so no need for a re pack then you think ? It was just the excess burning off you think ? A good thrashing for a short run each time you think ?

If so on all of these I shall proceed as directed.

If it was really hot which it sounds like it was I'd expect the packing to be burned out by now and ideally would require re-doing. You should hear a noticable difference in exhaust sound if the packing's all but burned away.

My gasser did the same thing last year on the first road run on Monday at the SSDT. I wasn't going fast and had only covered a couple of miles when I noticed the smoke. I returned to base (I wasn't competing)and it eventually stopped but I think that was when the oil soaked packing had burned away. It needed repacking afterwards but didn't stop me using in for the week until I got back home.

I don't do a lot of big runs on my bike so this was probably the first time in ages that it had a good run. Learn from it like I did and give the bike a clearing out regularly.

Recently a mates 09 2.9 exhaust went up - the thing melted the exhaust guard, the rear mudguard and even lifted paint off the frame - maybe at the top end of the scale but all in pretty scary at the time.

Rembering 2010 models have the fuel tank and exhaust sitting side by side - if it was my bike - I would be looking at cleaning the pipe out asap.

Those shercos like to burn!

Recently a mates 09 2.9 exhaust went up - the thing melted the exhaust guard, the rear mudguard and even lifted paint off the frame - maybe at the top end of the scale but all in pretty scary at the time.

Rembering 2010 models have the fuel tank and exhaust sitting side by side - if it was my bike - I would be looking at cleaning the pipe out asap.

Those shercos like to burn!

He must have been doing (or running something) seriously wrong to have done that. :wacko:

It was his first outing on the bike after purchase when it happened.

Before that - bike appeared surprisingly clean and genuine but reckon it had spent it's life pottering in the sellers back garden.

As said these things like a good blast.

If it was really hot which it sounds like it was I'd expect the packing to be burned out by now and ideally would require re-doing. You should hear a noticable difference in exhaust sound if the packing's all but burned away.

My gasser did the same thing last year on the first road run on Monday at the SSDT. I wasn't going fast and had only covered a couple of miles when I noticed the smoke. I returned to base (I wasn't competing)and it eventually stopped but I think that was when the oil soaked packing had burned away. It needed repacking afterwards but didn't stop me using in for the week until I got back home.

I don't do a lot of big runs on my bike so this was probably the first time in ages that it had a good run. Learn from it like I did and give the bike a clearing out regularly.

Oh believe me, it was very hot, thing is, this will need cutting open now, where the bloody hell do you start ??

Oh believe me, it was very hot, thing is, this will need cutting open now, where the bloody hell do you start ??

I would still think it would be ok. Just run it. Ones that are totally blown out will have a very raspy exhaust note.

They are totally impracticle to re-pack. Not reccomendable.

Does it sound like it's gone should be the first question. I don't think there's any conflicting opinions yet. If you do need to repack, it needs cutting open and rewelding. probably still cheaper than a new one. If it's still running ok and not bothering you it should be ok. The power delivery may change quite a bit too if its burned out. That may give you another indication for you.