Hey from the Canadian Arctic

40belowbiker

Hello Everyone

I'm fairly new to trials (3 years) and new to this group so I wanted to say hi.

I've always ridden bikes and have ice raced and roadraced in Southern Canada. I moved to the North in '98 so I had to adapt a bit. There aren't a lot of bikes here, and definitely no one riding trials so I have to kind of make things up as I go. I brought a WR400 with me and have added a few accessories so I could ride year round. That's great for winter, but the terrain here in summer is extremely rough, so after 10 years of summer riding in 1st gear on the clutch I decided to try a trials bike, though I've never ridden one.

There are no bike shops here of course so I ordered one from Ontario and had it shipped up on a ship.

I thought that trials riding would be be 2nd nature to me, but it wasn't, so I ordered a couple of DVD's and have been learning ever since. I intended to use the Gasgas for summer riding but I got hooked so I couldn't let the bike sit for 9 months of winter. I studded and jetted and rode it through the winters.

I was wondering if other riders have tried some ice obstacles and tire studs?

A few weeks ago during a snowmobile trip I spotted a frozen river that looked like it would be fun to ride. I loaded the bike the following weekend and towed it (80 miles) to the river for a run. Here are a few photos.

Cheers

Summertime traction

GG2-1.jpg

GG1-1.jpg

Missing knobs

Missingknobs.jpg

2nd tire

Studtruingstand5.jpg

Studtruingstand.jpg

Photo taken during sled trip a few weeks ago.

waterfall1.jpg

On our way.

Riverrun1.jpg

Studs in the boots were essential.

Bootstuds.jpg

RiverRun11.jpg

RiverRun12.jpg

RiverRun10.jpg

RiverRun13.jpg

RiverRun9.jpg

RiverRun6.jpg

RiverRun8.jpg

RiverRun5.jpg

RiverRun4.jpg

RiverRun7.jpg

Made it home just before sunset.

RiverRun16.jpg

I shot this short video when I reached the end of the line (for me anyway), a bit too tall and steep. Whenever I shut the bike off I could hear the water running under the ice, and the top was cracking a bit as I drove, so that added to the rush.

and here's a short clip of the tire test Saturday

Edited by 40BelowBiker

• 2 weeks later...