Corrosion or sealant in these connectors

Hi all,

Ty rode his 12.5 about a week ago with no issues. Today we went to ride, and I found no lights on the throttle, and no power. I thought maybe the charger hadn't been fully seated, and reconnected it, but the charger remained green, and no power came to the throttle.

Things I've done:

Checked the main fuse above the battery which was good

Checked voltage across both batteries (~12v) and the two together ~24

Tried to check resistance across the key switch,( which I was suspect of) I expected to find no current with switch off, and no resistance with switch on, but I couldn't get any current in either position. I then tried jumping the two connectors (eliminating the switch), but still had no power.

Next target was the throttle assmby. When I traced those wires, they branched to two black connectors that did not want to come apart. Then I noticed some white goo on both pairs of connectors. After fiddling with both of them I got them apart, and both were filled with more of the soft white stuff.

IMG_20110604_172147.jpg

IMG_20110604_172139.jpg

Questions:

Is that corrosion, or something that was put in to keep water out?

If it's corrosion, what can I do to clean it out of the female side of each connector?

Thanks in advance, and please let me know if you have other ideas.

Pete

Hi

fear not, that is almost certainly Lithium grease (or similar) put into the connector to waterproof it.

It could be that there is too much causing a very bad connection.... but i doubt it.

I think you are going to have to look elsewhere.

Dom

Thanks Dom.

This thing is beating me up (but I am definitely not an electrical engineer). I pulled the cover off my other son's 36v model to compare and diagnose, but they have more dissimilar parts than identical. I tried swapping out throttle assemblies, but neither assembly would show power on either bike, so I think they are wired differently. (I also know that was probably a bad idea)

I'm starting to suspect either the relay box or the controller. Is it a bad idea to "jump" the 12v power that passes through the relay? I think that would just power the throttle, and not send the motor turning at full throttle.

But, if jumping it works, I still don't know if the relay is bad, or the controller isn't sending the message for the relay to connect (turn on?).

Parts are cheap enough, that if I have to, I can order several, but still a $100 is a $100.

Any other ideas?

And again, thanks in advance.

Pete

98% resolved. After several calls to Mike B at tech support, we were pretty confident that the relay was bad. He had me pull the cover off the relay and move the copper "flapper" to make contact, and when I did, the lights came on and the motor would turn w/ the throttle.

I was pretty happy, and I buttoned it up with a piece of plastic wedged to keep the contacts connected so my boy could ride in the front yard. As soon as I announced "I think it's fixed enough to ride", I demonstrated by twisting the throttle while the bike was on a stand. After 10 seconds, the motor slowed down and stopped. The lights remained on, but no power.

Pretty disappointing, and I was starting to have that feeling that I would need to buy an entire set of electrics for some weird gremlin.

Later in the day I called Steve (current US distributer) to ask about an entire wiring harness. They don't sell the whole kit, but he offerred to sell me all the parts I wanted, and said he would accept any parts back that I didn't need. That's good service. Finally, before I ordered everything, he asked me what the tech support guy had done for me, and I repeated the steps. He asked about the potentiometer, which I had not done any testing of - 10 minutes later, I disconnected it, and had success! The throttle was live, lights were on, and bike had full power!

So somehow, I had the relay and the potentiometer go bad at the same time, OR, while diagnosing the relay, I did something that affected the potentiometer.

While I wait for the parts to arrive, I wired in a heavy duty on-off switch in place of the relay, and have Ty riding around at full power, which by the way seems a lot faster than when the potentiometer is dialed to full speed. I think that even at full speed, it does something to cut down the power.

Thanks for being a sounding board,

Pete