Rear Brake

250yam

I've been trying to get the rear brake to work on the 250 ('78 twinshock), but I've encountered a problem - I don't think the pivot is original.

Firstly, there was no return spring for the pedal, so I bought one, but there's no lug on the lever/pivot for it to attach to (should there even be one?), so the pedal just sits at the bottom of it's travel.

Secondly, the shaft that comes through the frame is threaded and has a bolt on the outside of the frame, this doesn't seem right looking at some photo's on the net, as it appears it should be a circlip or pin through a plain shaft?

Thirdly, the brake lever (Hub end) was hanging down, so I thought I'd switch it around to keep it up out of the crap (as it seems to be on most bikes), but I just can't get the cable to adjust up anywhere near, seems like it's too long, and I've put a new spring and adjuster nut on the hub end, but no matter what I do there just doesn't seem to be anywhere like enough travel on the brake pedal/cable.

Anyway, here's a photo of the pivot below:

5820249833_e5e0ae136c.jpg

What does anyone think, is there any chance of getting a replacement? If not, I'll have to get one made, could someone post a photo of what it should be like please?

Cheers

Edited by 250Yam

TY250E should look like this:

shaft retained by a circlip. The spring hooks around the arm on the moving end and through a hole in the frame bracket on the static end.rearbrakepivot.jpg

hope this helps

Rich

Edited by richTY250E

Cheers Rich, much as I expected unfortunately, think mine's been broken and welded, and the weld is fouling the tube in the frame, there are some on the dreaded ebay in the states, might be a big ask to get one made or modify this one, even with a friend who can fabricate/weld tidy. Hmmmmmm

Might be going to look at a 175 sometime too, might have got the bug.....