Front hopping - 2002 Pro to 2006 Raga...

waynerobshaw

Hi Chaps,

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on something that bothering me since I've upgraded from a 2002 250 Pro to a 2006 300 Raga with a 2009/2010 frame (legit - all bought direct from GG). I've long been practising hopping the front end and recently started to make some subtle progress on the 2002 pro (I'm no expert obviously!). I recently bought a 2006 300 Raga (yes I know its a powerful bike for a non-expert, but I find the power delivery smoother than the 250) and I'm now finding hopping the front a lot more difficult. My technique still needs a lot of work (I'm still using more arms and shoulders than legs), but I did find the balance and front lift a lot easier on the old 2002.

My question is, is this to be expected from a Raga? Is the front suspension a lot more "hardcore" on a Raga than a standard Pro and therefore more difficult to perform hops on for someone of my standard? I know the 2006 Raga does have different front suspension than the pro of the same year:

2006 Raga Suspension

It seems a lot stiffer than the old 2002. I was also thinking if the forks may need servicing, so I'd be interested anyone with the similar bike found their Raga to stiffer than a standard Pro.

At the moment, I'm concidering if the new Raga was a good move. That said, everything else is spot on.

Maybe I just need more time with the bike to adjust? The Raga does also have the 2009/2010 frame so maybe I'm not used to the geometry of the bike yet?

Anyone any wisdom when switching between a Pro and a Raga?

Cheers,

Wayne.

Edited by waynerobshaw

I'm not 100% sure here, but doesn't the 06 raga have fully adjustable (rebound and compression) forks? Have you tried adjusting them atall? Should be two winders or screws on top of the forks - might want to make rebound a bit faster, and compression a little softer... Also, how are the forks set in the yokes? Try sliding them up so there is about 20mm of fork above the yokes!

I'm not 100% sure here, but doesn't the 06 raga have fully adjustable (rebound and compression) forks? Have you tried adjusting them atall? Should be two winders or screws on top of the forks - might want to make rebound a bit faster, and compression a little softer... Also, how are the forks set in the yokes? Try sliding them up so there is about 20mm of fork above the yokes!

Hi James,

The forks are set at the minimum (both compression and rebound). I've tried the extremities of both and not noticed a great deal of difference.

The forks are set about 5mm proud in the clamps, should I raise them...whats the norm?

Cheers,

Wayne.

The best way to speed up the fork action is to switch to 5wt oil. Also, make sure the forks arent binding. Also - A forward Handlebar position will help and remember to use those knees!

I did think about changing the oil and possible servicing them. Can you litteraly drain the oil and refil? I've read you should measure 160mm to the oil in a fully compressed strut with the spring out. So can you change the oil without stripping the entire strut?

Cheers,

Wayne.

Edited by waynerobshaw

Hi James,

The forks are set at the minimum (both compression and rebound). I've tried the extremities of both and not noticed a great deal of difference.

The forks are set about 5mm proud in the clamps, should I raise them...whats the norm?

Cheers,

Wayne.

Oh, okay. Well, it all depends on what you ride - 5mm is okay if you're riding wet and muddy a lot. On the top of the forks, there should be two little lines? I set mine so that the bottom of these two lines sits just above the level of the top yoke.

Yes, it is possible to just take the forks off the bike, drain them, and refill them! I've never measured the air gap and never had problems! While they're off the bike, the fork seals are easy to replace!

5wt fork oil from Trials Uk, or from most bike shops will do nicely!

As said above also, having your bars rolled forwards will make hopping the front much easier!

You drain out the bottom, but to get all the old oil out and fresh in, you need to unscrew the top caps and remove the spring to pump the oil out of the cartridge (as well as refill). The GGUSA site has documentation to show the exploded view of the forks and a old video showing some disassembly tips. GG recommends using the oil height method only. Steel tubes are 180mm/Al tube 160mm I believe . check it on the site. When reassembling, make sure you tighten the tubes w/o binding them. (top to bottom method is the way I do it - plenty of topics to search on this - I think JSE has several threads on the proper method with nice write ups.)

PS - measure with springs IN.

Hi Wayne,

I'm not a Gasser Pro owner but I've had a quick tootle on a few and something they all had in common (when they were new) was stiff/wooden marzocchi forks.

Don't get me wrong,when they get bedded in they are the sweetest around IMHO.

Just get some fat lad to do drop off circuits on your bike !s12144.gif