200 gearbox woes

whizzy

I had a bit of an issue before with the gearbox before which I had asked about on here but it seemed to go away and i haven't riden the bike for quite a while. I didn't split the cases before just changed all the clutch plates. Any way back to todays promblem; i was unable to select 1st and 2nd gear at all, either with the bike running using the clutch or not stationary or moving, or even with a dead engine. As the morning went on it developed a 4th gear problem, it would jump in and out of gear whilst riding between section. It only happen in 4th gear but got progressively worse as the morning went by. 5th & 6th Gears are just fine. Any ideas before I open her up!

I've split the cases now and had a quick look. Nothing appears to be broken or particularly worn. It's quite difficult to change gear with the lever with only one case, I haven't quite sussed the operation of gear change mechanism yet. I need to spend a lot more time looking at it!

Edited by Whizzy

• 2 months later...

• 3 weeks later...

I've given up on it now :-( It's going in a corner, may sell it in bits one day. I'm going to buy a TLR.

NO dont give up!

The gearbox is pretty simple as long as all the shims, springs and ball bearings are in place. Its a long shot but sounds like the ball bearing may have come out under the selector drum, or its spring has broke, fix it and your be glad you didnt buy a TLR

• 7 months later...

Right here's the up date. We found one of the shafts in the gearbox was slightly bent! No idea how it happened. So that sorted the lack of lower gears. It still jumps out of fourth gear, I have another gearbox to try which I'll do in due course. It's done a couple of trials and is no big deal. The annoying issue now is starting from cold, it will not start with the kick start. Always starts with a little push and is fine starting with the kick start after that initial push. It appears to be flooded. It was always a first/second kick starter before the strip down in which I didn't touch the carb. I haven't looked at it yet. Any ideas what the issue might be.

Ps I did get a TLR :-)