TLR wiring

keychange

When I got my TLR200 it had all the lights, speedo and ignition switch installed and so I removed all of these except the ignition switch as the mounts had to be ground off in order to remove it. I have just been doing a tidy up and I had triple clamp off and so I decided to remove the ignition switch and what was left of the wiring harness.

Now it won't kick - completely dead. I have had the bike complete stripped engine out etc

I can get measurable power (multimeter) from black/red lead from the alternator and there is only the green, black/white, black/red and blue/yellow and plain black leads from the CDI - should be simple but even with the kill switch disconnected from the circuit I can' get any measurable current out of the CDI.

There is a green/white lead on the same harness shield as the blue/yellow lead but I can't find anywhere it belongs nor can I see a reference to it in the Clymer. Also should there be any current from the pickup coil? Any constructive suggestions welcome

There is a green/white lead on the same harness shield as the blue/yellow lead but I can't find anywhere it belongs nor can I see a reference to it in the Clymer.

I used the Clymer because the wiring diagrams are clear and coloured - but unfortunately not correct for my TLR :(

I just dug out my scanned copy (not great resolution) of the original workshop manual and sure enough there is a Green/White lead from the pick-up goes to green (earth) on the CDI - I'll try that tomorrow.

Edited by keychange

• 3 weeks later...

Initially it wouldn't restart - removed and cleaned carbie no better so I moved the high tension wire and other but around so as not to be touching frame - gave a fresh plug and away it went - ran nicely. But after that it was still a bit hard get started and was kicking back - so I backed off the decompresser but now it just won't start - it sometimes kicks a little as if it wants to go but nothing and kicking back a lot now... a sticky valve maybe?

There is no timing adjustment so I am at a loss

The kickstart itself is starting to feel a bit tired is it possible something is worn in the starter gearing.

Help please

Initially it wouldn't restart - removed and cleaned carbie no better so I moved the high tension wire and other but around so as not to be touching frame - gave a fresh plug and away it went - ran nicely. But after that it was still a bit hard get started and was kicking back - so I backed off the decompresser but now it just won't start - it sometimes kicks a little as if it wants to go but nothing and kicking back a lot now... a sticky valve maybe?

There is no timing adjustment so I am at a loss

The kickstart itself is starting to feel a bit tired is it possible something is worn in the starter gearing.

Help please

Sounds like you screwed it up enough.....time to hire a mechanic.

I read my original post his morning and it occurred to me that the pick up coil connection could be loose - I cleaned it and first kick away she goes. Just went for a two hour ride with several stops some planned some not :) - started easily every time. I love Honda engines )