Stock jetting on a tlr 250

rock hopper

In the Honda Shop Manual for the TLR250 a 90 main jet is quoted. The manual says to refer to the TL125/TLR200 manual for other information, this gives a 40 pilot jet for the TLR200. A 1987 RTL250S is noted as having a 38 pilot jet.

As a little bit of further information I bought a TLR250F new in 1985 and rode it for a couple of years then laid it up for about another two. When it was put away it ran perfectly but when used again the carburetion was awfully rich. This was despite cleaning the carburettor carefully using only carburettor cleaner. The float height was correct at 24 mm. I thought the float might have punctured but a change of float did not cure the problem. The carburettor settings were as supplied and the standard exhaust was fitted. Closer examination of the jets revealed their surface was slightly pitted, presumably from the residue of petrol left in the float bowl. Putting brand new jets of the exact same sizes in the carburettor immediately had the bike running like a watch again, all instances of richness vanished. Either the decomposing petrol or the removal of the resulting varnish (even just using solvent) must have etched away enough material to enlarge the metering holes in the original jets. No other parts were changed to cure the problem.

The manual says to use SAE80/90 gear oil on the air filter. The bike always ran better if gear oil was used, I did try foam filter oil and it made the carburetion rich.

Hope this helps.