Which bike for my kids to start on?

smallboy

Whilst not a specific answer to your question...

---can they ride already? (motocross etc,)

---are they quite lightweight?

The reason i ask is that the ideal answer is a 125 from any of the main manufacturers. I suggest reading some of the reviews on T+MX or ask some of the riders at your local club. With a 125 they can learn and then ultimately compete on the same bike. Trials 125's are (compared to other bike sports)quite flexible in that they are relitively docile until you rev them hard. They are also not much heavier than the 50cc & 80cc options.

My experience has been that its the first handful of rides that are telling. If they arent spooked by losing control a few times in the right environment, they will soon master the engine and you're away and can concentrate ramping up the degree of riding difficulty.

However if they are complete beginners this may be a step too far as many youths start with an auto, onto geared 50's 80's.

This leaves you with the option of buying an 80 or similar but expect them to grow out of it quickly. This is where the weight of the rider comes in. I could compete on my sons beta 80 (I'm 10 stone) except that the fork / shock springs are designed for a 4-6 stone rider.

Lastly, there is a reasonably new GasGas 125cc 4 stroke model recently on the market. This is heavier but very controlable and would also have suspension suited to near adult weights. However, like the 80 you will ultimately end up changing this if they want to compete more seriously.

Dom