Help with Set Up - Lean Out or Vertical

lakelandramblers

As I mentioned in my previous post I am in the process of attaching an old trials sidecar to my even older Suzuki SP400 with a view to Green Lanes and possibly a long distance trial or two such as the Ilkley Classic Trial

Before I start getting carried away with the MIG welder I need to know how the side car should be set up.

As it is the sidecar lines up with the sidecar axle about 9 1/2 inches ahead of the bike's rear axle when there is a slight toe in. I understand this is about right, please let me know if I’m wrong.

My biggest concern is lean out or not. I understand that most road outfits have a couple of degrees lean out. I am not sure if this is to overcome road camber or the effects of the sidecar suspension being compressed once the passenger is on it.

I have also read that off road outfits should be vertical when un-laden, hence my confusion.

Can anyone help, lean in, lean out or vertical, measured with the suspension compressed or un-laden? Confused…..help!

P1040221

Come one people 258 views and no advice! I think it needs some incorrect advice to get things started and then every one will chip in!! Or is all this side car set up that big a secret?? :unsure:

Edited by lakelandramblers

• 3 weeks later...