HELP Help New OSET 12.5

heliview

I need help. Live in New Zealand, ordered what I was told was a new OSET 12.5 for my 4 year old's birthday, well the bike arrived 2 days before weekend, I unpacked box and put batteries on charge, I could tell it'd been stored for some time. I headed off to work.

Friday afternoon, set about fully assembling bike, all good except I couldn't get it to run!. The batteries charge when connected. The key clicks the relay, but no lights on twist throttle. Get a voltage tester out, strip down the bike - seats and covers etc. Can trace voltage into the Controller 24v, and up to twist throttle 24v ( 2 wire connecter), 4.5 v from 3 wire connecter.

Anyway nothing makes it go, so ring agent, they will dispatch new twist throttle on Monday. ( Birthday Sunday).

New throttle arrives, attach - no different.

Talk to agent, they send new controller and relay down. When they arrive swap the controller over - no joy. So even though I was sure the relay was OK, set about soldering replacement relay in, no difference. This time I shorted the red/green wire out from the controller, and for the first time the motor spun up - I guess at full power. This convinced me that both my twist grips must be Bad, so ring agent - he sends a 3rd throttle down - last night I test it - Nothing!!!

!0 days after Birthday now, 4 year old located bike and keep asking when's Daddy going to fix it? I think I'm beginning to wonder!! Please Help.

You've done enough now to demand a replacement bike. Maybe they'll test the next one (and perhaps even assemble it for you!).

Hope it works out for you both! They do look great, and I'll have my son on one in a year's time!

If you're still waiting, here is a few things to try (see a post of mine a few months back):

If no lights are on the throttle, I'm going to guess that the relay isn't sending power. My 3 year old 12.5 was arranged so that one circuit of power went from the batteries > key switch > relay (square black box above the battery area) > controller. When the key was switched on, it told the relay to make a connection of the bigger red wires to send power to the motor. If you don't hear a "click" when the switch is on, the relay isn't sending power. If you can open the relay and you're brave: Reconnect all the wires and with an insulated tool, move the paddle to make contact. The lights should be on now.

If that does work, you probably have a bad relay, or the batteries aren't sending enough juice (even if they test 24v on your meter)

The relay is available commercially, and you should be able to get one online, or from a truck supply store.

Batteries like the originals should be available locally, and it is worth spending $US70 for a pair of fresh ones anyway. If you go up a size to 10.5ah, they will fit, but will make getting to the charging port a little harder because they are taller.

I hope that helps,

Pete