Glassfibre petrol tank

Johnny

Tim

In November 1966 I complained to the Greeves rep(Mike Jackson)that my new Anglian tank appeared to be disintegrating as I could see the white fibres.

He told me not to worry and he was right!

My understanding of building up the fibre laminate is that you have a smooth gel coat on the outside and leave the unfinished (fibres visible) on the inside.

Simply put i believe there are people out there that make tanks without specifying to their suppliers to what use the materials (resins) are to be put.

Then crying foul!!!

Leaving punters to pick up the tab.

Bit like "Fools and Petrol Tanks".

I have spoken to Shedworks during a round of the SM Champs and believe they know what is required.

Sorry if this is a bit blunt but at the moment I believe the fault is with the supplier not the customer.

If it is not fit for purpose get your money back!

Regards

Martin

P.S. Dave have raised the needle and wow!!

Edited by Triple_X

Martin

I can see I havn't converted you, so..

Apart from sorting out Bultaco and Historic Kart fuel tanks I also fibreglass roofs. We go to a lot of trouble to ensure all the mat is enveloped in resin (not gel coat - I'll come to that) which ensures that the styrene in the resin softens the mat so it can be moulded properly and the fibres are fully enveloped in the resin when curing and setting. This also gives fibreglass its strength. Saying that un-saturated mat is nothing to worry about is an excuse for a poorly laid up job. The inside face of a fibreglass matrix should be smooth hardened resin fully enveloping the mat. Not flat smooth like the outer surface, which being the finished surface has 'gel coat' either applied to the inside of the mould first and the mat and resin applied while tacky or as in the case of roofs, painted onto the curing fibreglass . Gel coat is, as you obviously know the finished face of the fibreglass item with either the colour in the gel coat or for a paint finish. Getting back to lining a tank. If a prduct such as Caswell is used it is in effect like a 'gel coat' on the inside of the tank but as it has no styrene in it it will not form part of the fibreglass matix.

I suspect that in the extremely unlikely (in fact it would not happen) event of one of Paul's (Shedworks) tanks having unsaturated fibreglass on show on the inside of one of his products a replacement would be forthcoming.

And, just to be on the contraversial side I would say that a ethanol proof fibreglass resin has not yet been produced!

Tim

I'm not qualified to put any sort of argument forward on this subject as I know nothing about fibreglassing, anything I say is based on observation on something I've seen or believing what someone has told me - or had me over on....

I've been told that there is ethanol resistant resin but I obviously don't know it as a fact myself. I know Paul has had some chunks of fibreglass sitting in fuel for some time and they are so far unaffected.