ATF or Gear Oil in Cota

keychange

I just saw a post in Montesa forum re: using ATF in a 315r and it reminded me to post my findings using ATF in my Cota 247.

I had read in other forums 247 owners using ATF in both clutch and gearbox and so I gave it a try. First thing I noticed was the gears starting jumping ie: from one gear to another under power (usually 3rd and 4th ) and it was very difficult to select neutral once warm. I have no gasket for clutch cover so have been using silicon successfully in the past but this time it failed and so I had to redo and refill the clutch but I was out of ATF and so the original manual states SAE-10W30 but in the past I used GTX (not GTX2). Interesting well over a year ago the clutch pusher was worn and being steel I welded some metal on and smoothed it and away I went. Many people said it wouldn't work or would ruin the clutch however it has worked flawlessly when I removed it showed no signs of wear. So I feel comfortable with my GTX choice.

However with the ATF still in the gear box it was still horrible to ride - jumping gears and on a longer ride now impossible to select neutral with the engine running. Maybe it was imagination but the engine seemed smokier and the thought of a dreaded left side engine seal loomed.

The only gear oil I could get was Castrol EPX80W90 and the change is immediate - neutral has returned to normal as has the annoying jump out of fist back to neutral. All other changes are smooth and precise and the engine does not appear smokey (at least for now). So I will stick to using ATF in the forks only

• 4 weeks later...

So are you using 80w/90 in the clutch box or gear box or both? I have a similar problem with my 74 cota drifting between gears between 3rd and 4th but I am already running 80wt in the gear box. I am running atf in the clutch box but I can't see how that would affect the tranny??

Thanks

Sam

I am running atf in the clutch box but I can't see how that would affect the tranny??

Thanks

Sam

Sam

Running Castrol EPX80W90 in the gearbox and Castrol GTX in clutch - I agree the clutch oil has no impact on gear box. As Castrol say all oils ain't oils - I can vouch that running the Castrol product made a big improvement .. I haven't tried any other 80wt oils.

OK I misunderstood .... GTX is good oil as that is what I run in all my vehicles. I am running Valvoline 80wt gear oil in my gear box as that is what I have available at the local parts store and have been thinking of going to something else. Maybe a motorcycle specific gera oil would be better.

Thanks

Sam