TL 125

canman666

Hello all, I have bought a TL 125 recently, first off, where are the frame numbers located?

Looked on the head stock, nothing there.

Secondly the paperwork states the engine number as 000000CB125JE1014026.

I take it this isn't the original engine although it is on the paperwork!

Any information is greatly received.

On the CB and XL Hondas the frame no. is on the headstock, maybe it's either been buffed off or under a ton of paint or somewhere else!

Your engine is from a CB125J (the one with the disc front brake, late 70's), externally the same but with different comp. ratio, cam timing, valve sizes, flywheel design and gear ratios.

Relative to the CB, the TL has a low comp dished piston and a head with a small combustion chamber and small inlet / exh valves. This along with different cam timing and a heavier flywheel allows better bottom end plonk without stalling.

On the CB motor, 1st gear is the same as the TL but the other ratios are different, unless someone's put the complete TL 'box in your cases as they are a straight fit (gear clusters, selectors and selector drum). You can fit the TL's 2nd gear quite easily to the CB as it's on the end of the shaft but the other gears are ordered differently to allow for the TL's bigger flywheel.

There's a mine of TL info here http://www.kaila.net/tl125/tl125faq/index.html

Maybe an idea to put your questions in the Honda forum on this site, more chance of Honda aficionados seeing them.

Edited by craig10