Air Shock / Soften Fork

frogger

If anyone has done an air shock upgrade on a 16 Oset, could you please post details/pics of the shock and modification needed? Trying to shave a bit more weight off the bike for my daughter.

Also, if anyone knows how to soften up the fork that would be useful too.

Much obliged :D

If anyone has done an air shock upgrade on a 16 Oset, could you please post details/pics of the shock and modification needed? Trying to shave a bit more weight off the bike for my daughter.

Also, if anyone knows how to soften up the fork that would be useful too.

Much obliged :D

Hi Frogger - I moved this from the LiPo thread!

I avoided welding to the bike - to much hassle removing the wiring. The bracket was fabricated from some rectangular tube sized to fit the shock top mount, one side cut away and lugs welded on that attach to the original shock mount with a bolt. The mount then rests against the frame snug under the seat. Fair bit of cutting and grinding to accomodate the shoulder of the shock.

Shockmount1.jpgShockMount2.jpgShockmount3.jpg

I haven't touched the front forks, they seem adequate for my boy, talk to a mountain bike shop, that's where I got the info for the rear.

Edited by NineFives

• 1 year later...

I fitted a RockShox Bar 165mm air shock to our 24V16. Similar to ninefives's above.

I found it easier to modify the motor lower mount than the top mount on the frame.

Removed the stock mount from the motor plate with my angle grinder and just welded two tabs back on. Some nice Ti hardware and I think it turned out ok. The only problem with this setup is that I have to remove the plastic and the upper mounting bolt to charge/set the pressure, as the valve is too close too the frame to connect the shock pump. Pressure is set at a very low 45psi for our 7 year old, we are still experimenting with the internal air pressure and the rebound settings, but there is a noticeable improvement already.

Click on the pics to zoom.

DSCN1331_zps2b735c30.jpg

DSCN1328_zps9e7552fa.jpg

Poser shot in the garden, he didn't clear that rock with crocs on his feet.

DSCN1322_zps9ed6f43c.jpg

Edited by b20pv