Lowering Gas Gas Txt50 For Short Legged Lad/munchkin ?

mickmc

hi i have a gas gas txt 50, but my lad is about 2 inches short of touching the floor, a friend advised lowering with a mountain bike shocker, he had seen someone at a trial and this chap had done this, we bought a mountain bike shocker (about 5 inches long) but this one is too short and the swinging arm won't meet

has anyone done this, what size did you use, any advise appreciated, just want to get him started, but safely,..... or grow bags and stretching rack required :)

ALSO

anyone know where i can get a new slider for the forks, or get them repaired, got some marks on them and might ruin the new seals i'm going to put in

thanks again

Mick

I would try raising the fork tubes in the clamps a couple inches and try a softer spring in the rear/back off the shock preload to run 50% SAG. Other than that - the OSET is the perfect little kid bike. Good luck.

• Like 1

My lad started off on the Gas Gas 50 boy age five. although at first sight the rear shock looks like it's not adjustable you can set the spring preload. If you look at the lower part of the shock you will see some grooves in to which a wire C clip slips, the lower spring plate then sits on this.Make shore this is set on the bottom groove. What I did to lower the bike even further was put two jubilee clips on the shock spring,one each side over two of the coils and pinched them down a bit.

Dropping the forks through the yokes is a bit hard as they soon hit the underside of the handlebars. But you can drop the front by removing two plastic spring spacers from the top of the forks. Just prize off the rubber caps, press the ally slug down with a socket extension and release the C clip.Under the alloy slugs there are the spacers.Each about two inches long make of black plastic tube. As my lad got a bit taller I cut one of the spacers in half and popped one half in each side. I hope this helps you and you have many years of fun with your lad on what is a great little bike

P.S If your cooling fan packs up DON'T get one from Gas Gas.£70.00+ go to any computer outlet and get the same fan for under £10.00.

Edited by paul250