Gas Gas Formula Brake And Clutch Master Cylinder Fault

chris280

3 weeks ago i picked up a new gas gas 2012 racing 280 with the new formula brakes fitted after a few hours of riding a noticed the front brake master cylinder started to stick on and i felt it cracking when applied 10 min later the clutch started doing the same . when i inspected the clutch and brake master cylinders the were badly contaminated with fillings we flushed out both systems and replaced the fluids went out again to try bike out same fault started again

i contacted gas gas uk who sent me out a new set of master cylinders and pipes i fitted the new parts / went to next club trial and with in a few hours of riding same faults came back has any body got the same problem can u let me no i think the manufactures need to look into this dangerous problem

I have a good friend of mine who bought a 12' 300 Race with the same problems. He's flushed both systems, but says not the same action as the previous vendor. I'm glad I got a 11' Raga,...the controls are second to none !

This is worrisome.... but at the same time puzzling. Not to diminish the pains the OP is feeling, but really, these components are pretty simple as hydrauilic systems go.... nothing mysterious hiding behind the circlip. So whatever trouble there is with these must be easy to find and fix permanently.

One thing for sure I will be taking mine apart to make sure the are clean inside, and that everything is burr-free in the master cyclinder bore and clean within the reservoir. Will report back with my findings.

I have dissected the assembly to a certain point, and really can say I am thoroughly impressed with the formula front brake setup. The master cyl/lever is well engineered and made of quality stuff, pivot pin is stainless steel, no more floppy levers, although I did note the pivot was as dry as a bone, so maybe a bit of lubrication is in order......and the edges of the machined portions of the main casting do seem to have escaped any sort of de-burring attention.

It is also lighter than the AJP setup, by 3 ounces for the front brake assembly - marginal weight loss only but nice to see a move in the right direction.

So..... I am optimistic that these teething pains will be worth it in the end.

Anyone else have any problems or comments? The forums seem to be pretty quiet about these, but there must be quite a few sets out there by now?

Well I took my Formula Front brake m/c off and disconnected it from the hose - depressing the plunger by hand I have to say it did feel kind of graunchy - like is was dirty, and not running in the bore smoothly.

I took it apart, did not notice anything untoward, but still the piston didn't seem to run in the bore smoothly at all, but then I cleaned the whole thing inside out and upside down with brake cleaner and voila - it felt like you would expect. Re-assembled and now it seems much smoother than before when running the plunger in and out by hand.

In the few minutes I have spent on the bike, I really liked the feel of the brake and didn't notice this lack of smoothness, but have done this as prevention. I am going to do the clutch as well, and also check the front caliper.

Well I took my Formula Front brake m/c off and disconnected it from the hose - depressing the plunger by hand I have to say it did feel kind of graunchy - like is was dirty, and not running in the bore smoothly.

I took it apart, did not notice anything untoward, but still the piston didn't seem to run in the bore smoothly at all, but then I cleaned the whole thing inside out and upside down with brake cleaner and voila - it felt like you would expect. Re-assembled and now it seems much smoother than before when running the plunger in and out by hand.

In the few minutes I have spent on the bike, I really liked the feel of the brake and didn't notice this lack of smoothness, but have done this as prevention. I am going to do the clutch as well, and also check the front caliper.

Wise move Jonny042. Flushing the system is recommended for AJP as well. Good insurance that there was no left over machining swarf. Ive seen plenty of crap come out of new bikes master cylinders - not sure why cleaning them out is such an issue!