Silencer Repacking

heathy

Thanks Chris,

Heath, if you look at the center piece of Aluminum that is a divider you will notice that the holes do not go through, there is just a pilot there 1/8" or about 3mm and if you look at the outside cover closely you will see it has pretty big holes where the spotwelds were.

Has your welding shop seen your silencer yet?

If you can find a place doing that much TIG time for $16 or so, I would be all over that like white on rice.

Hope you get it all back together and sorted out.

I haven't been to flavels yet, still trying to split it :huh: I was thinking about getting a new one but it depends how much it is going to cost to repack this one, luckily it doesn't really matter what it looks like on a sherco because you can hardly see any of the exhaust anyway

Bring it to the shop that will be doing the welding and ask them to help you get it the rest of the way apart. They will be able to do it no problem I am sure, then they can also give you a firm price to weld it back together, and you can make a sound decision from there.

As someone else said here though, after they get it cracked for you, you will want to take it home and give it a thorough cleaning. When Tig welding the smallest amount of grease, oil or dirt can make things go astray. You will make the welder happy if he has spotless materials to work with when it is time to put it back together.

Good luck.

I just got a plasma last week, still have to put the cable on it, but I bet I can crack one FAST now! Just need to sell some Sherco brake pedals to make it worthwhile!

Someone on here had a very nice picture of one that they had done. I do not think it was a Sherco, but the point would be the same either way.

That could be a pretty sweet mod to do.

Will have to think of that one a bit, I am about to do something with Dean's, but at the rate I am repairing things around the house, I just may slip on a new one and call it good.

As I said in my op I had already cut along the original welds, it seemed like an easy job before I started. Obviousley not.

I now know for next time and would advise anyone to just cut a window in the back of the exhaust! The only thing with a sherco exhaust it that there is a devider welded on the inside of the back so how would you get that out? unless you cut two windows :huh:

how long would it be before it would need repacking using a 80:1 mixture?

Depends how much you use it, what oil you use, how you ride etc.

I'm sure you could make it last forever if you wanted.

One reason they seam to get loud is when they are used in small circiut trials (i.e. most club trials) they never get a good run to burn the excess oil/carbon off.

On the other hand if you give it loads of revs for long periods of time then you risk burning the packing out, inside the exhaust.

Its impossible to make exhaust packing last forever

All right then slight exaggeration there but if you only rode once or twice a year it could last over a 100 years I suppose.

I've decided to order a new silencer, as the threads in the holes are also rounded off and the exhaust is a bit tatty. I found a company in TMX news (TP Off Road Sports, tel 01502 731627) who do a sherco repacking service, haven't phoned to see how much it is but I will give them a try with the new one when it needs doing. :rolleyes:

• 7 years later...