Starting Tiger Cub

danw43

Im having trouble starting the old cub,she seems as if the piston is pressurising up in the bore and then the kickstart seems to get a spongy feel to it, it almost feels like its hydraulicly locking, could it be that the tappets are too tight,causeing it to sort of seize up

If i pull the plug and kick it over it kicks over no problem,piston runs up and down smoothly.

what am i missing can any one help

regards Dan

Edited by danw43

You say it has a spongy feel, this sounds like clutch slipping and the fact that it kicks over with the plug out suggests everything else is O.K. other than the clutch slipping ( but you also say it is locking up ? does this mean the kick start lever locks up and won't move? ). Can you push the kickstart through its full travel yet not turn the engine over?, if so this would be the clutch slipping. With my BSA, sometimes the kick start locks up but that is due to worn teeth and it is an intermittent problem. If tappets are too tight then you would just loose compression and it would be easier to turn the engine over.