Boysen Reed Ty175

mik60ish

I'm running the Boysen reeds in my TY175 along with a 1/4" aluminum spacer. I also removed some material on the reed cage to clean up the air flow. My primary reason for the Boysen reeds was not performance related. I was very concerned about the integrity of 30 year old stainless reeds, and having one get ingested by the engine. I bought mine through B&J Racing and the fit was spot on. I can't tell you whether reeds from a TY80 would fit the 175, but the Boysen reeds have served me well.

• Like 1

It's really hard to say, when I bought the bike the engine was overdue for a total overhaul. Bearings, seals and con rod were all shot. I installed the reeds before having the engine rebuilt. Now that the engine has been done, it runs great. Bear in mind I ride the easy sections with the old men, but the bike has yet to come up short of power. A young expert rider in our club took the 175 for a spin on some rather difficult terrain and it handled some steep climbs just fine. Boysen enjoys an excellent reputation throughout the industry, I really don't think you can go wrong.