'03 Pro Intake/airbox Help Needed

charlie chitlins

OK...I'm still going to sell this piece of crap, but by the time I do, it's going to be a fully-sorted, no-excuses piece of crap.

Next problem....

I did a little experiment this weekend and invited a friend over.

He could actually park his 1951 Buick Dynaflow Special in the space between the airbox boot and the carb throat.

I can't believe ANY factory sent a machine out with such an obvious (even fatal) flaw.

Is there an update for this?

Hopefully this was sorted by '04.

If you follow this link http://www.cambstrialscentre.com/sparepartsaccesories.htm and scroll down the page you'll find a CNC aluminium adapter to fit the back of a Dellorto so that it mates properly with the Gas Gas airbox boot that's designed for a Keihin. Standard the Dellorto comes with a rubber version of this adapter and it sounds like you don't have one?

My 2006 gasser which i had did exactly the same thing. When i bought it new the rubber boot fitted perfectly no problems but over time it began to not fit correctly. I think it is just the rubber of the boot shrinking and becoming hard to be honest and nothing to do with Gas Gas making them wrong. The cnc adaptors are a good buy, i made mine but it was the same and they are alot better than the rubber ones that come on the bike.

My 2006 gasser which i had did exactly the same thing. When i bought it new the rubber boot fitted perfectly no problems but over time it began to not fit correctly. I think it is just the rubber of the boot shrinking and becoming hard to be honest and nothing to do with Gas Gas making them wrong. The cnc adaptors are a good buy, i made mine but it was the same and they are alot better than the rubber ones that come on the bike.

OK...maybe I should give GG a break.

It's somewhat comforting to know that it may have fit at some point.

I'll try rubbing some DOT3 on the rubber.

That might soften and swell it a bit.

The method i use to use was just before putting the airbox on i would fill a jug with boilin water and put the rubber boot into the water and stand the airbox upright to let it soften up abit. Whilst its still warm and soft put it onto the bike and tighten it up then leave it overnight to cool and go firm and that always seemed to work for me.

Yeah Gas Gas bikes arent all that bad all makes have their issues with a second hand one its more dependant on whos had it and looked after it in my opinion. Once youve got it all sorted then im sure it will be a good bike

Heat guns...boiling water....jeeze.

Some research revealed that this is a problem particularly with '03.

It looks like the custom aluminum carb throat extension is the way to go.

They're made beacuse of an awareness of this problem.

What I did was to remove the boot from the airbox, which is held in with a flange that goes inside the box, and butted the boot to the box, moving it forward the thickness of the flange.

Bolted together with a bunch of sealer, I'm as sure as I can be that it's sealed, and the extra 5/16" or so helped, but I think I'll get the trick part and do it the no-excuses way.

Beta isnt perfect either. they had problems with radiators not that long ago that they updated quickly, but if you already bought and had the bike, you were in the same situation you are with this Gas Gas...

one solution is, there is a guy on this forum (http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/user/746-ikb/ I think it was) that machined out of aluminum, a really really good spacers that you bolt onto the carb, with 3 set screws, then slide the hose onto. You might PM him and see? FWIW, I bought 3 of these, worth every penny plus shipping from the other side of the big pond. Made it a LOT easier to get that hose onto the carb every time. I had them on the both of our 2004 300's and I might have even had it one an 06 125/220. I was diggin through my spare parts last night, and I seem to have one in the baggie, I must have kept it when I sold one of the 300's.