jandyb

Hello Community.

I am looking for new bike now, and am looking at two 250 s. One is a 2010 with sachs rear and one is a 2009 with a Öhlins shock (original taken from a 2011 125 Racing). Other than this they are pretty similar exept for colors of cause.

I like the 2010 design better, but somehow wonder if the ôhlins is worth taking the 09?

i have tried some easy riding on both, but I cant notice any difference with my skills.

What do You think?

-Jan

FWIW - I personally wouldn't buy a bike to get a shock alone - especially if its a older design.

That said: IMO, The Sachs is a pretty decent shock, if you want to have the best shock for a GG, save up and buy a fully adjustable Reiger.

Hello Community.

I am looking for new bike now, and am looking at two 250 s. One is a 2010 with sachs rear and one is a 2009 with a Öhlins shock (original taken from a 2011 125 Racing). Other than this they are pretty similar exept for colors of cause.

I like the 2010 design better, but somehow wonder if the ôhlins is worth taking the 09?

i have tried some easy riding on both, but I cant notice any difference with my skills.

What do You think?

-Jan

Being one year apart I would go with the better condition/and or the one that was not ridden as hard. The Ohlins is better, better yet if you get the stock one also!

Thanks for your answers.

Hehe.. Not buying it for the shock, but the price is about the same, 09 is way better condition according to the loocks, has never been used in competitions just cuddeling around in the woods, AND it has the

Just my opinion and thoughts from being around and guessing some:

The Ohlins was considered an upgrade, especially back around 2006, that is when the Sachs was replaced on OUR 06 300 pro, as shipped by the factory. My problem is (looking back now) about the same as Formula brakes: is it an upgrade, or availability sold by salesmen as an upgrade?

The Racing models, was/is upgraded with a few things than sold on a regular pro, so I would still guess the Ohlins is better according to many?

a few other anecdotal tidbits?

I thought I have read that Raga didnt like the action of the ohlins, so the raga's usually had sachs, until the new reiger of course...

I have a guy near me, that rebuilds my Sachs, he HATES Ohlins personally. but maybe because of parts or other issues.

I do know the Sachs you can change out the spring, with one for heavier weight riders, they were around $100 (USD) and relatively easy to get since SOO MANY Gas Gas's had that Sachs shock. I don't know if it was as easy with Ohlins, with fewer bikes having them?

Ohlins might be easier rebuildable, I do NOT know?

Sorry as I type this, I might not be as much help as I 1st thought... since I kept using Sachs, because I already had the "fat boy" spring for one, I did this for several years. BUT, dad thought he liked the Ohlins better for a while at least. We're just about 200lbs now either of us, he might be lighter actually. size of rider, size of the obstacles, might make the difference? I dont think Ohlins V Sachs overrides bike condition, for sure. the new reiger is worth every penny according to MANY upper level riders though.

We have had an Ohlins since 2005/2006. It's was built by the same guy that did Wiggy's at the time. The spring is changeable for the weight of the rider. They are coloured differently and can be obtained from TrialsUK. We had ours rebuilt last year by the same guy who altered the internals slightly. Some bits had worn out and he updated it. The main thing my Son notices if he rides a Sachs bike is a certain lack of linearity compared to the Ohlins. It reacts that little bit less eagerly. Hence he can have it setup so the Ohlins is quite lively but it retains the ability to absorb rocks. As the guy said you can have all the power in the world but if the wheel isn't on a surface it will just spin. As for the Reiger He has ridden a bike with one on but many in Yorkshire still move the Ohlins across at the moment. His opinion was neutral. It was better than the Sachs but he would need to set it up for him to gave a better opinion.

Edited by telecat

There pretty much the same bike except - the 10 has a Ti pipe and 2pc head. Of course the graphics as well - I think the 10 is a great looking bike. However, shock question aside, always buy a bike based on condition. Around here - a 09 in nice shape goes for about $3500usd - 10's go for about $4K in the current buyers market. Hammered bikes would be downgraded accordingly - usually not enough IMO. (I hate working on beat up bikes - let alone the cost of parts can easily out pace the savings - so stick with super clean)

Seems the 09 would be the better choice and if it comes with the Sachs as well as Lineaway mentioned - bonus!

Yeah Laser is right on every point, shocks really wont come into any (how do I say it) justification or affect on your riding, really, until you are way advanced. There are settings on both shocks that can be adjusted to suit, in fact you might see if you can check a upper riders' preferences on the settings, that is what I do.

The Reiger I have though, has 1 more adjustments instead of 2? on the "rest of the" bikes... I guess I thought it was adjustable dampeing, for both compression and rebound, & spring rate (simply put the preloading of the spring). I guess they stopped putting that shock on even the Raga for 2012? I bet since most dont adjust that, and if they do, they have shock tuners that make those settings internally, least even I did with the sachs... :closedeyes: