Bsa B40 / B44 Engine Problem

frank bagley

Can anyone help with an issue relating to B40 / B44 engine specifications?

I have bought a B40 to convert for Trials. The B40 Engine has a B44 round Aluminium barrel with std bore.

Found so far;-

B44 Al. round Barrel marked 41-42 with a gasket face to face of 82.4mm

B44 piston 41-571 (std bore)

B44 con. rod marked 41-550

Problem

When turning the Engine without the Head the piston at TDC is above the Barrel by approx. 3mm

Same problem with a std B40 piston 41-075.

I believe the Barrel has been reduced in length but suspect machined too far. really would like to use this Aluminium Barrel,

The B44 con rod results in a stroke of 90mm (not 70mm as B40).

Questions;-

- What is the B44 Round Alunium Barrel length gasket to gasket face?

- If I have interpreted the issue correctly then one option would be to add a spacer between the barrel & crank case to correct back to the B44 barrel length enabling me to use the B44 push rods. Can anyone suggest a supplier for the spacer?

- I want to achieve a compression ratio of 6 or 7:1. By returning to the B44 barrel length, what ratio would I achieve with the B40 piston?

- Are there alternative 79mm dia. pistons to achieve the desired compression ratio.

I hope there is someone out there much smarter than me to help me out. Any help is much appreciated

Frank

Mobile - 07989 566 219

Hi Cygmmartin

Good point, just measured 70mm stroke ie, B40.

Would still like to understand B40 & B44 Barrel lengths from gasket face to gasket face? Anyone out there with a barrel on the bench please measure for me?

This will allow me to modify the length of the B44 barrel using a spacer

Thank's Frank

I now understand that my B44 round Al. barrel has been shortened & to return to the B40 set up using the B44 barrel I need a spacer under the barrel

Does anyone have the length of a B40 cast Iron barrel between mating faces (gasket face to face?

This will allow me to decide the spacer thickness required

Thank's Frank

You'd be best working back from your wanted compression ratio with the piston you have before getting a spacer made, otherwise you might be out of pocket for another piston as well. Remember to check your valve to piston clearances using putty or similar when boxing it all up.

You can find how to measure the combustion chamber volume, piston pop-up etc here http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=113079&page=2 , go to the 4th post by Dave_NV, then put your figures into this comp ratio calculator http://www.csgnetwork.com/compcalc.html . You can then just add increments to your head gasket dimension in the calculator to get what you will need.

Hope that helps

Craig

• Like 1