What Montesa Front End Do I Have?

jms61uk

Hi all.

I have a set of forks and front wheel on my bike from a Montesa Cota, and I need to identify them so I can get hold of a brake cable. They are 35mm and had the word "MONTESA" cast into the bottom of the alloy slider - not the "M" logo seen on some forks, and I think they were from the early 1970's. Is there any way of working out the year and model, or are all the brake cables interchangeable. I got them on ebay a while ago for my pre 65 project bike, so I have very little info.

Also, how much and what type of oil goes in each leg. I can add I picture once I've worked out how............

All help, hints, tips and info will be much apreciated,

Thank. Jon Summerfield.

Edited by jms61uk

They look like Cota 247 forks to me. These appear to be the later, mk 3 (1971) and onwards, which were then all the same up to 1980. Early Cota forks are thicker. The brake arm looks the same as the later 247s of mine, so I think this probably remained unchanged as well, after 1971.

• 1 month later...

jms61.

I'm currently building a 1981 Cota 248 and am missing this part to hold the brake cable.

I welded a s/s M6 nut to a s/s bolt long enough to locate and bolt through the mudguard stay.

Weld the nut at right angles to the bolt thread.

When cold, cut a slot in the nut to allow the cable to pass through. Screw the cable adjuster into the nut.

Bob's your uncle.