Tank Paint Running

heathy

The paint underneath my petrol cap on my tank keeps running, I have repainted and re-stickeded the tank twice, once using five coats of laquer (which didnt help), and again using see through plastic (which melted)

Does anyone else have this problem with their tanks?

Mine is currently stripped and coated with plastic primer and I just thought I'd see if anyone on here has any ideas before I finish it?

What are you using for paint?

If you are using acrylic based paint - ie the rubbish that is sold as paint these days in places like Halfords then you are correct it will run with petrol. I had the same problem with an oil tank of my AJS - I made an excellent job of painting it then cleaned out any final remnants of water or dirt with petrol about 10 days later. The petrol lifted the paint. I ended up using petrol to strip off the paint it was that bad.

Try to get some cellulose paint or alternatively get it lacquered with two-pack lacquer by a proper paint shop.

HAlfords do a petrol resistant lacquer which will hopefully work wink.gif

Note the word in the title is resistant and not petrol proof, in adition note the small print on the can very carefully - it will resist petrol but you are recommended to wipe off any spills immediately is how I read it when I looked at using this for something else..