Ty80 For A 9 Year Old?

bowellsyboy

Im looking to get my girlfreinds boy a trials bike as hes been showing an interest in my bike. Ive got a tight budget of £500 and the only option for that money as far as i can see is the TY. Dont really want to spend tomuch more until iknow he is properly keen and will pursue it. Will this bike be a good start bike for a 9 year old or will it be to small is my main question? Hes never riden a bike with a clutch before. Hes about a average height for his age but is on the heavy side!!! Any input would be good.

Perfect imho. Mine started on one as an 8 year old, fine as a 9 year old, prob another year yet too. Will get the clutch thing in 1 - 2 sessions, just be patient. As long as its in reasonable shape from the get go the TY's seem indestructible.

Cons: they do weigh a bit, prob a disadvantage if you are heading into sections, not as competitive as Beta 50s and 80s, but ideal to just get riding off road.

I absolutely agree. I started my daughter on an OSET when she was 6 and picked up an old TY80 just before her 8th birthday just to see how she would do with a gas bike and clutch. For sure it is heavy for her but she soon got used to the clutch and power (over the OSET i mean!) and loves to follow me around. This year has been her learning/getting used to it year but I firmly believe that next year when she is just that little bigger and stronger it will really come into its own and last her for at least another few years.

As others have said, bullet proof, easy to maintain, and parts still seem easy to obtain from the bay even for me in Canada

Absolutely agree. My son started at 8 - was ideal to learn on. He is now 10 and has a Clipic (big wheel) and a Whitehawk (big wheel). The TY was great to learn on as yes, they are heavy but you need to learn proporly with balance and throttle / clutch control.

We still have the TY80 and he went out in the garden the other day, and after now being on bigger (and more modern) bikes for 6 months its amazing what he can do on it ! wheelies, stoppies, bounce the front end etc !

Go and get one....you cant go wrong

cheers

John