Techno Gearbox Oil

starr870

Big learning curve with this 98 250 as i have no manual to help with maintanance, what oil should i be putting in the gearbox and how much there is a transparent bolt at the bottom of the casing is this a sight glass for the level? i have also been kicking it over today and there seams to be sooty/oily black petrol coming out of the tail pipe of the exhaust each time i kicked it over.

Andy.

Thanks Chuck is this something i can get in the UK or is there an equivelant oil i can use from here. Have you ever re packed your exhaust as mine is very loud and i have alot of oily stuff shooting out of the tailpipe when the bike is running.

Andy.

remove your pipe, have the center section, hot tanked at a radiator shop, and repack the muffler loosly, make sure the rubber O rings are fresh,

pack it loos, quiet, and it will rob some power, pack it tight, it will be noisy, and add power.. so the saying goes.

Maxima make MTL. im not sure who sells it in the UK,

ELf is another choice, use 75w, and avoid using ATF...it will make your clutch sticky.

switch to Elf 2 cycle mix, at 75-1 ratio, that will cure your oily muffler issue.

drain your radiator, and switch over to Dex-cool, i found it great for magnesium cased pumps, and use it straight, no water, water eats magnesium.

Edited by chuckindenver

Thanks again Chuck, i will take the exhaust apart this weekend and have a look as the wife is not happy with the oil sprayed all over her patio! I will call the maxima oil distributors tomorrow to find my local shop that sells it, what is the coolant system capacity?

Andy